OpenAI's generative video software is more tedious than actual filmmaking

The fact that they even could produce anything coherent is the win to me. I expect the quality of both inputs (via experience) and outputs (via technology) to improve significantly in near term making these complaints moot. Is it art? No, certainly not. But neither is 99% of the “creative” excrement we generate ourselves

Come On Reaction GIF

9 Likes

As mentioned the companies have no ideas for how to make significant improvements, just throwing orders of magnitude more resources in and hoping. As for the things humans make themselves, even badly done art sometimes has interesting ideas or aspects to it. “AI” is always the most generic version of the queue by design.

6 Likes

A computer algorithm cannot learn and improve from “experience” as a human can, because a computer algorthith doesn’t have “experiences.” All it has is a buttload of sample data that it doesn’t actually comprehend in any meaningful way.

Artificial Intelligence is kind of like artificial turf. It’s better than it used to be, impressive in its own way and maybe even functionally superior for some extremely narrow use cases. But no matter how good the technology gets it is a fundamentally different thing from real grass and will never make a very good general substitute.

8 Likes

Also, what’s “good” art is always, always subjective… what some find wonderful art, others find atrocious… but art is about what speaks to you, not about some kind of objective aesthetic criteria…

7 Likes

That’s a good point. I meant bad art in the sense not of taste but skill at realizing your ideas. Everyone starts as a beginner. I’m one myself but it hasn’t stopped me from making things other people like. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

6 Likes

Oh yeah… I just meant that what one considers “good” is subjective… both our points are true, I think.

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to them replacing techbros and billionaires.

8 Likes

Angry Flower Biz-Bot

10 Likes

3 Likes

twice in one week!

4 Likes

Here’s the audio version of Ed’s piece.

3 Likes

Sora can’t carry anything over from one shot to another. Fixing that would require fundamentally changing how AI image generation works.

4 Likes

At the very least, you can talk with a human artist, ask them about their influences, criticise their ideas, compare them with your own situation, and set them within a social milieu. However valid that may be, you’re having an interaction with a person.

An LLM or similar, merely calculates that a number of pixels, with a variety of RGB values, is 83% likely to be adjacent to a slightly different number of pixels and RGB values.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.