Operators of Long Beach's foundering Queen Mary accused of stealing COVID-19 relief funds

Per the video at the end of the post, the solution is obvious:

POSEIDON ADVENTURE: THE EXPERIENCE

Join a group of friends and strangers in a full-scale recreation of the famous 1972 Irwin Allen Academy Award-winning disastertacular adventure! Built inside the shell of the former Queen Mary, the New Poseidon rolls over Mon-Fri at 4PM, and Sat-Sun at 1PM and 8PM. Reserve your tickets today! No pets.

We’d have to get James Cameron involved somehow, for reasons. And the Imagineering folks, to build the giant rotating support structure, the water effects, the robot NPC crew and passengers that die for ticket holders’ amusement and so on.

1 Like

Oh, it definitely gets done some times. But I can also think of many cases where it is not. When you consider just how much maintenance is required to keep rusty steel floating, you would think that it would be nigh universal.

Watching that video, the shots in the long corridors really brought back memories of visiting the sister ship HMS Queen Elizabeth when she was still in service. She was in port, in Southampton, and my family and I went on board for a tour. The one thing that really stuck in my mind were the incredibly long corridors that had a vanishing point! If you didn’t know, you’d think that was camera trickery to get that effect, but they’re really that long.

This. Raised basically same area and time period. This is where you got dragged by your parents for the occasional brunch with Mom’s boring friends or some collector’s convention with Dad (before they’d finally call it quits and take us kids to Ports o’ Call Village).

2 Likes

How was there not a Long Beach Queen Mary Computer Swap Meet?

Because those happened in the TRW parking lot (trust me, got dragged to waaaay too many of those). The infamous “ham radio” swap meet (which had ham stuff, but pretty much everything electronic).

The computer/electronics meets all seemed to happen up in the Gardena/El Segundo area.

Also Hughes Aircraft surplus sales… Almost got shoved through a fence by a very small, but very energetic lady at that one…

2 Likes

I think the Northridge Computer Swapmeet was the one I spent most of my swapmeeting time at, but I also went to several in the south bay and Pasadena area.

Software on floppies with home-printed labels, questionable boards of every sort. Ah, the good old days.

2 Likes

I bought a printing paper box full of old 8" floppy discs well after the time when anyone really had any use for them for $5 or something, to “tile” a friend’s steep driveway. He was pissed when he tried to leave for school in the morning, because they apparently very very slippery.

Those things were crazy. Sometimes things would be massively overpriced. Sometimes you’d get a full reel of resistors with silver leads for a couple of bucks, and be able to just scrap the precious metal content off of them.

2 Likes

One of my favorite factoids about San Francisco’s transit system is that one of the main Muni tunnels runs right through the hull of a sunken ship and most of the people on any given train have zero idea.

1 Like

Both the Princess Louise and Princess Louise II were not far from the Queen Mary. FWIW.

1 Like

Another fun fact:
The idea of an underwater rail tunnel traversing San Francisco Bay was suggested by the San Francisco eccentric Emperor Norton in a proclamation that he issued on May 12, 1872.
Emperor Norton issued a second proclamation on September 17, 1872, threatening to arrest the city leaders of Oakland and San Francisco for neglecting his earlier proclamation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.