Oregon now excuses students for "mental health days"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/22/oregon-now-excuses-students-fo.html

9 Likes

Good, and also, good.

21 Likes

I always say, “A nap a day, keeps the therapist away”.

13 Likes

Being the caretaker for 2 modern teenagers I would advocate for a Mental Health Year Off – a stigma free year to just sleep in and grow a couple of feet.

26 Likes

In my junior year of high school I got in trouble for taking a dozen mental health days off. The Dean saw that they matched a couple of my friends days off. I did it again in my senior year, and told the Dean hey my grades are good, what’s your problem. I got detention for that one.

16 Likes

I’m sure that very few high school students will abuse this privilege.

1 Like

As a child, I had asthma. It disappeared around puberty time, although not without a serious attempt at killing me one last time. Thing was, was that I could fake it and take a day off school more or less at will. As a depressed child, these days off were at least somewhat needed. I am pretty sure I was out for an entire third of one semester. I still got good grades.

12 Likes

Kids today. In my day we were born with a couple of feet.

15 Likes

I was molested for a period of time when I was 13-14. Facing school after something like that (which nobody knew about) was one of the worst experiences of my life. Mental health days would have been a godsend.

20 Likes

Who decides when a mental health day is needed; The parents or the students? If it is the student are the parents informed?

1 Like

Good. One small regional step toward America taking mental health care seriously is still a step in the right direction.

10 Likes

Not sure about other school districts, but every school district in my area uses a rapid attendance notification system. If one of my kids is so much as 5 minutes late for a class, I get a text message, email, and a message on both my mobile and home phones. The false positives are a pain, but my kids know that, if they are late or absent, I’m going to know about it ASAP.

2 Likes

And I’m sure there are plenty of high school students who will greatly benefit from the ability to take a day to collect themselves now and again.

Every system gets abused. That doesn’t make the system itself worthless.

5 Likes

How about unlimited personal health days? I personally don’t believe that kids should be forced to attend high school at all.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.