Orson Welles had Trump figured out in "Citizen Kane"

Originally published at: Orson Welles had Trump figured out in "Citizen Kane" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

In Sinclair Lewis’s It Can’t Happen Here, the fascist demagogue Buzz Windrip is depressingly close in appearance and behavior to the Shiatgibbon.

14 Likes

Even more stunning is that Citizen Kane is TFG’s favorite movie, though he completely misses its point. Error Morris talked about this in 2017.

12 Likes

When I first took LSD I thought that if everyone tried it, it would change the world for the better. Then I realized if someone like George W Bush took it, it would just make him a more effective idiot.

7 Likes

“When I dropped acid I thought I was gong to reach Nirvana. But instead I was getting reruns of the original Mouseketeers”
Reverend Jim Ignitowski

5 Likes

“History?” Excuse me, but that’s literature. Or, at least, the dramatic arts. Agreed that generally history involves some dregree of subjectivity, but that there is still not history.

Those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it. Those who DO read history are doomed to watch others repeat it…

6 Likes

Completely predictable. In Trump’s world, Kane is an aspirational mega-wealthy hero, despite the film going out of its way to show what a horrible and disliked person he was. Much like in the film, many will also celebrate the day he finally croaks.

6 Likes

Hayden White has entered the chat…

5 Likes

As well as being similarly named after flatulence.

2 Likes

So’s trump (if you’re British).

1 Like

I am, for my sins, hence the ‘similarly’

3 Likes

William Randolph Hearst saw to it that Mr. Welles never had full creative control in any other project.

5 Likes

I would highly recommend a look at “Meet John Doe” with regard to harnessing the power of lies told loud enough. It’s in public domain so the whole film is on YouTube.

Bunch of he-lots!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.