Orthodox Jewish owned businesses sell a lot of stuff on Amazon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/16/orthodox-jewish-owned-business.html

“This is like the Gold Rush in the 1840s.”

3 Likes

So is there, like, an important part of this nearly hour long video?

8 Likes

Wow, they really cornered the market.

1 Like

If corporations are people why can’t I punch them in their face?

1 Like

If somebody buys something from you on the sabbath, does that mean you were doing work on the sabbath?

I’m sure there’s a workaround, like as long as you don’t check your amazon store account on the sabbath it hasn’t happened yet-- it’s like Schoedinger’s cat . . errr . . . Katz?

6 Likes

It’s the mythical “hole in the sheet shit”.

1 Like

BH Photo in New York is a giant retailer of camera gear and associated items that does a lot of online sales. They are run by Orthodox Jews, and close on the Sabbath and all the Jewish holidays (including not accepting online orders).

14 Likes

With this bunch of fundie hypocrites, there’s always a workaround.

[yes, I know people don’t like Bill Maher. He’s a jerk about a lot of things, but this is a real operation he’s showing]

2 Likes

These mavens of the Marketplace, good for them.

1 Like

see, if you manage your own website, you can program your own bots to keep Shabbat for you. By partnering with Amazon, you lose that opportunity.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t they sell a lot of stuff on Amazon? It’s a capitalist environment in the USA. What is extraordinary? :thinking:

3 Likes

He’s a jerk in this very clip. Amazing.

4 Likes

It’s just interesting that this ethnic group has carved out this particular niche of that capitalist environment. Sort of like how Cambodians dominate donut shops in Southern California, one gets curious about how and why Orthodox Jews came to dominate this (very big) Amazon 3rd-party seller business.

8 Likes

Or a “schmuck”, as the elderly rabbi who runs this goofy racket mutters bitterly as he passes in front of the camera at one point.

5 Likes

The real question is why everyone else hasn’t figured it out.

2 Likes

Adorama camera is the same. NYC, Orthodox Jews, closed on all Jewish holidays & sabbath. I have specifically not shopped with them for well over a decade and many tens-of-thousands of dollars of purchases because they shipped $90 worth of memory cards to me in a way that made it impossible for me to receive them on the timeline needed (and paid for) and then because of some obscure Jewish holiday I was unable to contact them and get things resolved in time. Thankfully the camera store market has strong competition so holding a grudge is easy.

6 Likes

“ There’s an estimate passed around third-party Amazon consultants that claims 7% of all Amazon third-party sales originate from a single zip code in Brooklyn, and that Orthodox Jewish–owned businesses make up 15% of marketplace sellers”

So? And the point is…?

5 Likes

“Do business online! It lets you keep your wimminfolk locked up and churning out babies!”

(People get so upset when various extreme sub-groups of Christians or Muslims do this, but I personally have never heard the same about extreme Jewish sub-groups.) I’ve read a few memoirs by women who literally had to escape this culture.

8 Likes

It’s becoming more well known as more young people escape the culture, sadly at the cost of losing family and friends. Fortunately, there are now support groups to help them function in non-fundie society.

9 Likes

Orthodox Jews have a small niche of the amazon market from a central geographical point. What about the other 84% of the market? What are those religious demographic? Do they perform financial transact on their ‘day or rest’?

1 Like