Our technology is haunted by demons controlled by transhuman life-forms

Sounds like you have experience with installing Linux on a dead badger.

9 Likes

Is that ever true, just trying to get any computer to work properly.

3 Likes

I’d read that!

1 Like

1 Like

As usual, Corey, the problem is not tech - but consumerism. As a maker advocate I would think this is obvious to you. It is naive to expect parasitic multinationals are more likely to act in your interests than your own friends and family. So, that’s who you design and build your house/car/television with.

“There’s an old saying in Tennessee—I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, ‘Fool me once, shame on…shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.’”

How many years do people need to repeat being abused without earnestly trying to do anything different for calling them out to go from “victim blaming” to “compassionate intervention”? How to wise up the marks?

7 Likes

I used to be such a nice calm well adjusted person before my family started blaming me every time the computer either hiccuped or had ransomware hijacking the browser, or was running slow as frozen molasses because of viruses.

I’ll not even bother going into the unholy rites and screams of the damned when I went linux browsing in the early 2000’s.

My biggest problem is I want to throw all kinds of things in like an alien dragon woman, a transhumanist group that goes deep into personally upgrading for the sake of protecting ‘the unplugged’ from digital nightmares, and other stuff i’m not sure how to integrate without it all feeling like a fever dream, or a really REALLY weird RP session that went off the rails years ago and never came back.

7 Likes

Sounds pretty realistic to me!

3 Likes

FTFY 

4 Likes

Speak to us more of these things, you who are wise in the ways of device drivers.

3 Likes

“You have no care for your species. For thousands of years men dreamed of pacts with demons. Only now are such things possible. And what would you be paid with? What would your price be, for aiding this thing to free itself and grow?”

2 Likes

This pretty much sums up my dislike for modern software even though I’m a programmer by profession. As time wears on I’m slowly going back to older technology that can’t be hooked into some data mining scam (and I mean scam, all analytics is a scam until proven otherwise).

3 Likes

I’d read that.

2 Likes

Sounds a lot like Vernor Vinge’s (sadly mostly forgotten) 1981 novella “True Names” – like Gibson, Vinge used the demon metaphor, but a bit more literal – his version of cyberspace wasn’t a geometrical Tron-like world but a virtual simulation of a fantasy world with demons and magic. Yes, it didn’t make a whole lot of logical sense, but it was fun.

4 Likes

So a prototype of Shadowrun’s sculpted systems or babylon 5’s techno mages.

Add’s book to reading list.

3 Likes

:smiley:

I would love to find audio of him talking about it on air. This would have been in the mid to late 90s. Not too long after the book came out. ('95 - probably no later than '97)

1 Like

Just do not boot up what you cannot cast down and you’ll be fine…

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that per se; in this context probably a reasonable choice anyway.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Not Vegan, not artisnal and fair trade. Your modern codemonkey will see this as a substandard offering.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.