Out of 8 companies surveyed, only Twitter would rule out helping Trump build a database of Muslims

Corporatism = Fascism
Fascism = Corporatism

Just really wish there was someone who could have fought harder against this instead of corporatists within the DNC.

15 Likes

They have described themselves as journalists in interviews as well as legal documents. I am only going by the job identifier that they seemed to use. Honestly, I’d gladly give most of the writers here this description.

1 Like

After four years of hyperinflation there will be a lot more billionaires around.

9 Likes

I’m just hoping we’re not headed for the next great depression with Trump. We really have to get rid of him in 2020. On the positive side, if we do hit a new depression the wealthy will be able to snap up even more property for peanuts on the dollar. I’m sure it’ll all trickle down some time in 2045 or so.

7 Likes

Do I have to produce a database that actually returns results? I’m pretty sure I could “help” build a database like this, but it might take some time to get anything useful out of it … I should have something working by around 2031 or so … just hold patient, OK? (And keep writing checks.)

8 Likes

Alt Reich?

So you just have a personal grudge against @doctorow specifically; enough to call him “a trolley.”

Got it.

12 Likes

You sound like the guys hired to dig up a birth certificate in Hawaii!

4 Likes

Uhh… Realistically, I would go in the opposite direction. Everyone Muslim should identify themselves as white southern Baptists, or white Lutherans (or whatever). We’re looking at a pro-torture government that is openly hostile toward Muslims and people of color, and has been bragging about extensive surveillance at least, with deportation a kind of “next step” tool in the kit.

“Everyone” changing their faith to Muslim would mean, “Hey, a bunch of anti-Trump liberals who hate America are trying to fuck with the system. Sounds like good excuse for surveillance, harassment, probable cause for arrest, and possibly deportation to who-cares-where.” You could not paint a more effective target on your back.

There’s a reason the Gies family hid the Franks, instead of throwing the system by saying they were Jewish, too…

Edit: grammar error.

11 Likes

Not replying to a press query promptly does not implicate a company in evil.

13 Likes

You read BoingBoing for the driving trollies, and consider it a fake news site?

3 Likes

I was expecting this news to be much worse than it is.

If it’s just a delay because they’re all running it by their boards, that’s one thing, but what I’m seeing is almost all of those companies are refusing to give them an answer.

Yes, Twitter’s response should be the norm. But I’ll take “we’re ignoring you” over IBM’s response any day.

12 Likes

I don’t think they’re suggesting that they’ll search accounts for a setting that says “I’m a Muslim.” I think it’d be more of a search for Islamic content (quotes from the Qu’ran, Hadith, etc.), metadata (you have three imams as friends), and general profiling by name.

To fool that kind of database, you’d probably have to actually convert and start practicing, not just check a box on your account.

6 Likes

Would you rule out the possibility of keeping a database of these “fake journalists”?

3 Likes

Apparently!

6 Likes

What we’re not hearing here is how these companies were asked this question.

From the lack of answers and Twitter’s terse response, I’m guessing it wasn’t exactly NYT-level journalism. More like TMZ-style “Hey!! Are you gonna make a Muslim database?! You’ve got three seconds to answer!”

6 Likes

It is Sam Biddle after all. Usually his questions are “Hey, are you going to post the photo of you plowing your best friends wife or am I going to have to do it for you?”

Not a journalist to be taken seriously.

3 Likes
1 Like

Ah, gotcha. I wasn’t familiar with Mr Biddle, but that makes sense!

1 Like

And yet Cory’s presumably self-authored bio reads “Cory Doctorow (craphound.com) is a science fiction author, activist, journalist and blogger”. Journalist implies a certain fidelity to objective truth. It’s like Scientist … but people read you over breakfast.

3 Likes

Guess I better get to work then. I want my name on any ________ registry like it’s John Hancock’s: front, center, and large enough to read without glasses, motherfuckers.

7 Likes