Out of the Abyss, the new D and D adventure, is Alice in Wonderland meets Diablo

[Read the post]

Out of the Abyss is brutal but a lot of fun. You will spend most of the early game with some form of madness, and the true sandbox nature means your level 2-3 characters will run into CR25 entities in their adventure. Like the other published adventures before it, you will need to live to fight another day often.

The actual exploration of the Underdark is handled better than any other published Underdark focused adventure I know of (and there are a lot of them). It is a foreboding and alien landscape with unexplained events that complicate encounters, and even the most evil creatures have something worse they are trying to avoid or keep satiated.

I like it.

“Either through surveys, or possibly partnering with Roll20, I think WotC needs to get some clear data on how D&D is played in 2015, and to start tailoring adventures to the average play session. My guess is that people may well want adventures structured in shorter, punchier segments with a quick challenge/reward cycle.”

So… Adventurer’s League. Roughly 10-15 short adventures every 6 months or so, which can each be played in 1-2 3 hour sessions, depending on the size of the party. Check your FLGS.

1 Like

I’d /really/ like to see more focus be put on introducing folks to games other than constantly going back to D&D.

There’s nothing wrong with it per se), but there are some radically different styles of games out there, and while D&D is great for some folks, we need to make sure that folks know that it’s not actually representative of tabletop roleplaying games as a whole. It’s been a /long/ time since that was the case.

There’s a lot of people who’d really prefer the cinematic nature of the Fudge/Fate based games like Jadepunk, or relationship focus of Monster Hearts, to name two that quickly spring to mind.

1 Like

Have they made any progress on releasing any of the 5E content in PDF format? I still want to play D&D, but I don’t have room for hardback books any more, and I want to play online, at a computer, using tools like Roll20. I’ve had lots of fun playing Pathfinder purely as a digital product, and I just don’t get why Wizards won’t release D&D the same way.

$

My guess is that their thinking is something like “In order to keep the PDF from cannibalizing the hardcover market, it would have to cost enough to pretty thoroughly kill demand for it.”

That being said, they DO have the “basic” rules available on their website covering levels 1-20 for four classes (fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard) and including a subset of races, backgrounds, spells, monsters, etc. from the Player’s Handbook and Monster Manual.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.