Over-zealous German cop slaps parking ticket on car sculpture

Are they known for being bad at that? Doesn’t their chocolate help?

I was going to mention my dad’s 1974 Renault 12 in the thread about jumpstarting cars. My dad learned to never offer jumps with that car, since doing so would blow out the Renault’s alternator, which cost $400 (in the 1970s!) and needed to be shipped from France.

2 Likes

I get the humor and laughed (no, really!) But I can never resist when it comes to British food.

Three Michelin stars

st. John, opened and run by Fergus Henderson. A true chef’s chef.

Ducasse (need I say more?)

And of course this gobshite.

1 Like

I wonder if he wrote the tag number on the ticket… Because if it was a tag salvaged and used in the art.
It’s probably still connected to the owner of the tag…who will now have to go through maze of bureaucracy to prove he didn’t park a truck illegally.

Still the cop has a sense of humor.

1 Like

The reason German comedy is so bad is that they killed all the funny people. — Robin Williams.

1 Like

Ah, Robin, we hardly knew ye :cry:

2 Likes

Cops don’t issue parking tickets in Germany, they’re basically just a kind of clerk that walks around.

That said, the local modern art museum and the mayor both took the opportunity to “fight” the ticket. Could this be gasp a publicity stunt?

1 Like

According to the inflation calculators, $400 in 1974 is equivalent to $1,894.20 in 2014! No wonder your dad learned quick!

1 Like

Heh, that reminded me. I had a really badly beat up 1998 Saturn SL2 with about 250k miles on it, and a badly bent front-end alignment from skidding into the curb sideways.

Aaaaanyway, I sold it last year for about $200, did the paperwork and all that shit, but started getting parking tickets about a week later. Either the Marysville tribal PD doesn’t use the same database as the rest of the PDs in the state, or the new owner didn’t file their half of the title-transfer. Long story short, I had to drive out to the reservation to convince a bunch of cops that I don’t own the car anymore. I showed them a copy of my half of the title-transfer, which satisfied them, and they waived the outstanding tickets. But they still kept sending me new tickets, a bill for impounding it the car, and a bill for its disposal. I’ve talked with the tribal PD on the phone about it, and they either want me to admit that either I still own it, or that it was stolen. I explained again the whole me not owning it anymore thing. And they said they’d “figure something out.”

I just return the bills to sender unopened now. What are they going to do? Send it to collections? I’d rather deal with collections than the cops.

Germans overall are much less “jovial” than Mericans. (Edit: in the “hyuck hyuck” sort of sense) You are totally right about everything you said. Humor is generally very deadpan or pun based. The Polizei arn’t an organ for bringing in money/fines. Cities/towns can not have their own police forces. Only States can have a police force that investigates crimes and makes arrests AFAIR. So you basically have people who live in a given city/town who are hired by the state (state meaning region) as the Police for their region but they are not a locally governed force.

Also the Police in Germany are generally pretty highly educated as a prerequisite to being hired. I’d bet this particular ticket was a “joke” as others have pointed out here. Germans often have a laugh about the stereotype of Germany as “orderly and bureaucratic”.

2 Likes

I’m German. ES IST VERBOTEN! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :guardsman: :smile:

Italy is supposed to be very overrated in this regard. They make a big public show, but the Catholic Church hasn’t exactly done anything for the rest of the business.

My spy in the Swiss nightclub reminds me that Swiss Protestantism, like New England Protestantism, was very anti public displays of affection. But in suitable environments where they let their hair down they turn out to be just like everybody else.
National stereotypes have some basis in reality, but really the last hundred years of European history has shaken things up so much that I’m sure it is pretty tenuous nowadays.

2 Likes

Actually, it was a joke, here’s an article in German. It was just the police having a bit of fun! I’m actually impressed with my home town for a change.

5 Likes

That is a very German joke :slight_smile:

1 Like

Depends. Our police force (Avon & Somerset) is excellent. The Metropolitan Police on the other hand is basically a modern Praetorian Guard, keeping the capital safe for the government.
However, there is no British police force. Scottish and NI police enforce different laws in a different way. So perhaps it should read “Heaven is where the English are the police except for the Met, Thames Valley, West Midlands, Yorkshire and Lancashire, and a few others.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.