Own this 16th century castle near Paris

[Permalink]

1 Like

Considering the prices for some Dallas homes, this looks like a bargain… Now, how to got $5.6 mil…

3 Likes

Not when you find out how much it will cost to maintain, repair, and heat it.

9 Likes

I’m not seeing many outlets. Does it even have Cat 6 in the walls? What are the chances they’ll get Google Fiber in the area anytime soon?

/perfectly reasonable expectations

3 Likes

I think I’d enjoy making a place like that my hobby. What do you spend your money on?

2 Likes

and the wifi/cell coverage must be a mess with the stone walls

It’s a Luddite’s dream home.

1 Like

A) I spend my money on motorcycles.

2 - I have a friend in France who bought a Château under the same illusions, and she is now broke, miserable, it ruined her relationship, and no one in their right mind will buy it from her even when she offered it at a significant loss. So she is stuck with it. But hey, go for it!

3 Likes

You just need to loan it out for a music video when you have a bill to pay.

Or charge the plebs to come look around. But then you aren’t even living in your castle, just an apartment on the top floor.

See every stately home in the the UK.

Maybe put in a safari park?

ETA:

3 Likes

There’s never been a shortage of people who will say ‘you can’t do that’ and give examples of people who have failed. They are usually a good indicator that if you do the impossible thing, your rewards will be great.

6 Likes

You’d think that the photographer would spring for a tilt shift lens to sell a 5.6 million dollar property, But Nooo…

1 Like

That kitchen must go. Nothing like a bad remodel to bring the price down…

So, this beautiful castle in France is $5.6 million, but it’s $20 million for the right to use the name, “Radio Shack”.

Sometimes, the absurdity of it all is just obvious.

10 Likes

This example is probably an impossible dream for most of us - but the price of older country houses that are more modestly sized is absurdly cheap in rural France. There are many reasons for this, but if you start looking at 3-5 bedroom historic houses in small towns you will soon be constructing all kinds of escape fantasies in your head (as I do).

Seriously, there are dozens of nice farmhouses and “maisons de maître” all over France for less than the price of a 1-2 bed condo in most large cities in the US.

5 Likes

cool, let me know how it goes then!

1 Like

Sure, I’ll just keep looking for that $5.6 mil.

But this is not something obscure that nobody has ever tried properly. Castles, and even castles for sale, are not that rare. This one is nicer than most and that’s why it has a non-trivial price at all. Castles can work as hotels or similar although that is often controversial. As residences they are gigantic money pits. Most have been in the same family for many generations and are white elephants maintained out of a sense of obligation. Some are owned by the super rich who don’t mind the enormous cost.

4 Likes

And it’s also something many people have been successful in doing. Being aware of those who fail and why they did so is very important. Focusing on failures as the expected outcome doesn’t seem like it would get us anywhere. I imagine a world of frozen neurotics would result from everyone thinking like that.

I’m sure I’ve made it clear I do not have the means to buy such a property. Neither am I so innocent as to think restoring an old property such as this would be simple or even have an end to the toil.

That said, there is a world of no out there. Listening to the naysayers gets us nowhere. As a young man, my father bought an old cotton plantation home that was classified as condemned. He was in his 30’s, right out of the service, and had very little money. The people who said he was foolish were too many to count. The ones who supported him were few. It took him 10 years working every free hour after work to bring the old lady back. In the end it was beautiful again. He began construction on a new home as the old one was nearing completion. As the new home was finished he sold the old lady and was able to completely pay off his construction loan. He did this working as a maintenance man for a food processing company. He may have never been rich, but he always had a hobby - a hobby that provided his children with 2 lovely homes which also taught us how to do for ourselves instead of paying others to do it for us.

I learned that hard work and the ability to laugh at those who say no are tools to keep clean and sharp. I also learned that the high cost of maintenance is largely the cost of skilled labor. If one is inclined to maintain a property such as this, one would be wise to first ensure they also posses the skills necessary to take care of it. This would be in stark contrast to the idle rich who pay others to do the hard work for them.

3 Likes

Basement a little damp?

2 Likes

After spending $5.6 million, what’s another 100k or so for rewiring?

I’m sure there are a few secret passages that can be exploited…

2 Likes