Pabst Blue Ribbon launches cannabis seltzer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/08/pabst-blue-ribbon-launches-cannabis-seltzer.html

4 Likes

HALF a standard dose of 10mg, at $6 a can…?! Yeah, no, weed is cheaper by far. I can buy a 100mg THC soda for $20-25, FFS.

6 Likes

Putting aside the cost, I can see a market for a THC drink that is the equivalent of a session beer. Not sure I’d want to drink three or four sodas myself, but YMMV.

4 Likes

I’d have to drink six of them to even get a mild high, and I’m by no means a heavyweight. I don’t smoke every day or every week.

4 Likes

Obligatory NSFW, not that you’re at W.

10 Likes

But…why? A single 10mg edible can be as cheap as $3, here in WA. If you don’t want an actual THC buzz, why consume THC? I’d buy an edible and drink something else.

Exactly so, although I’m most certainly a pothead ^^'.

8 Likes

Having some edibles and a nice light beer is my go-to. Great for chilling out watching movies.

4 Likes

As a person living in New York, a place inexplicably way behind where it should be in the legalization timeline, this all seems like a surreal alternate universe to me.

10 Likes

5 mg is just about the right dose for me. Wait an hour and slowly drink another to keep the fun going. 10 mg all at once is too much for some people.

6 Likes

The only way this product could be any more hipster is if it had avocado and beard oil in it.
Which it might.

14 Likes

Who could have imagined that there was a market for fizzy bong-water.

13 Likes

That’s on brand for Pabst though isn’t it?

16 Likes

It’s perfectly explicably. Highly segregated, conservative counties with average population ages in the 50s or higher in the NYC Metro Area keep nuking attempts to change things. Primarily Nassau and Suffolk Counties on Long Island.

Living on Long Island myself I can’t tell you how hysterical the opposition to the last legalization vote was here. It’s going to put every winery and brewery in the state out of business. There will be undetectably intoxicated drivers everywhere. They will build dispensaries in schools. Outsiders will come and profiteer off our children. A little boy died from an edible he got in a vending machine. CRIME.

Combined with Governor Cuomo who was solidly against the idea (and decriminalization) when our state legislature was controlled by the GOP, but all for it the minute Democrats had control, getting a late start on pushing any reform on the subject.

Upstate Red districts seem to be curiously amenable. I suspect it’s cause they’re already growing a lot of pot, and want legitimacy for the tax revenue and as a cash crop for farmers.

5 Likes

Cries in Indiana.

4 Likes

Can a chemist please chime in on how cannabinoids are carried in water based drinks? I thought they required lipids to stay in solution.

5 Likes

100 mg of THC in a single drink? That sounds incredibly unpleasant.

Remember that the effect of 1 mg of THC in a smoke is different from 1 mg in an edible.

3 Likes

Blimey, I must be a lightweight. 10mg makes me feel like Skrillex has decided to put on a show inside my brain. (And not in that good way, wub wub wub)

3 Likes

They covered this in an episode of “Working Moms.” Don’t bring your toddler to the brewery tour :wink:

2 Likes

No thanks. I’d prefer a 6-pack of ice cold tallboys and a couple of bowls.

6 Likes

Shoulda rebranded it “Pabst Green Ribbon.”

4 Likes