Paleolithic people made handaxes to show off their sexiness, argue some paleontologists

Not only are they not mutually exclusive, for some of us trustworthiness is a requirement sexiness! (But not, I must stress, the other way around. If I find someone to be physically attractive but then learn they cannot be trusted, I suddenly find them a lot less attractive!)

6 Likes

Hah! I remember them. It looks like Nemesis the Warlock’s butt plug.

6 Likes

captain-america-marvel

7 Likes

Chop left.

6 Likes

Paleolithic female pulls out a symmetrical handaxe from the head of a bison, used to finish it off. “I like this handaxe – very nice… but I like this dead bison 100000000X more. Know what I mean?”

4 Likes

Must’ve worked, we still have hatchets.

6 Likes

I heard you knapping by my cave door
I love you baby can I have some more

A lone fur-clad stranger, handaxe slung on a rawhide tether from his hip, peered back, squinted eyes set deeply below a solid brow. Nobody had expected Flint Eastwood.

7 Likes

I still lust after a pair of these…

6 Likes

Oh, wow.

5 Likes

A matching pair of… oh right. Shoes.

Nice :grin:

6 Likes

Jumping in late here, but:

To me the answer “why handaxes” is obvious. It seems clear that the handaxe is optimized for some relatively ubiquitous paleolithic purpose (though I guess archaeology is not clear on what that purpse was). And the handaxe itself is a tool that takes considerable time and investment to create and craft well.

If you put that much thought and energy into making a tool, optimized for your own hand, optimized for some purpose(s) that you had to undertake every day, but also with the potential to be all-around useful, you wouldn’t bother with other artefacts or even stone flakes – you’ve got your handaxe! It’s the bush knife of the paleolithic world. And especially in an environment where the quantity of things you carried with you would be limited, you’d want to bundle as much utility in one tool as possible.

If it’s given that you have some recurring task that necessitates carrying a handaxe, as long as the handaxe is suitable for your other tasks, you’ll just defer to using it, rather than having to carry some other (perhaps more specialized or more absolutely efficient) tools plus a handaxe.

2 Likes

“Too sexy for my chert”

Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.