Paleolithic Venus of Willendorf statuette traced to Northern Italy

I have a crochet pattern, from Trishagurumi, for your very own Venus of Willendorf. Trishagurumi’s Willendorf Pattern
I even managed to enlarge the pattern to nearly twice its size, as a commission.

9 Likes

As my BF and I gazed upon this Goddess, he said it is a masterpiece, and giving her That Head was a master stroke.

I said I ahem figure she has that head to show that she is an Idea, not a person. Then I sang a bit of “I’m Every Woman,” because why TF not? :wink:

A number of the goddesses in Ms Paley’s video above are recognizable as Egyptian. One of them is likely familiar to many Happy Mutants. She is extremely old, so old she doesn’t even look Egyptian.

Female Figure, Predynastic Period, Naqada II a, ca. 3500-3400 B.C.E. Clay, pigment, 11 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 2 1/4 in. (29.2 x 14 x 5.7 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund, 07.447.505. Creative Commons-BY (Photo: Brooklyn Museum, 07.447.505_SL1.jpg)

The museum theorizes this goddess’ head represents an emphasized nose, symbolizing the breath of life. I think she looks like a bird. They also mention a painted jar which bears a figure in likely the same pose, but with a conventionally-shaped head, and posit she is performing a ritual.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.