This 42,000-year-old penis pendant is the oldest phallic art ever discovered

Originally published at: This 42,000-year-old penis pendant is the oldest phallic art ever discovered | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Sure it’s not just a knife sharpener?

12 Likes

Are we sure that’s what that is? I sometimes think archaeologists are a little phallic obsessed. Remember that ancient Roman “dildo”? It might just be an old Roman drop spindle | Ars Technica

14 Likes

I think that this part of figure 2 from the paper is where they get the phallus idea:

With the other images, I wasn’t seeing it. Still looks pretty ambiguous, honestly.

8 Likes

I think that was found in Mongolia, not Magnolia.

9 Likes

Now I know why my mom said “you should be an archeologist when you grow up” when I was in the bathroom for hours with the door locked.

4 Likes

Upper Paleolithic Mongolian woman: “Great. Another idiot just sent me a batch of unsolicited dick sculptures.”

14 Likes

Maybe there was a set of matching necklaces worn for bachelorette/hen parties.

At least it’s reassuring to know that people had penises 42,000 years ago.

1 Like

Loss was much more recent.

Ghostbusters Bill Murray GIF - Ghostbusters Bill Murray Peter Venkman - Discover & Share GIFs

3 Likes

Sometimes a stone is just a stone.

10 Likes

Given its from 42,000 years ago, it’s not that as any weapons would be stone.

I am having a hard time even discerning a shape - phallic or not. If I had found that rock, I wouldn’t even assume it has been worked by man. I assume the context of where it was found and with what lends to that.

I was just thinking, WTF is Magnolia?

4 Likes

Outer Magnolia, or Inner Magnolia?

6 Likes

… sometimes a weird rock is just a weird rock?

7 Likes

Freud GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

5 Likes

Penis pendant pedantry? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

3 Likes

Precisely

4 Likes

Doesn’t look like anyone I know.

4 Likes

9 Likes