This 2,000-year-old Roman dildo is probably... not that

Originally published at: This 2,000-year-old Roman dildo is probably… not that | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m glans they got that cleared up.

8 Likes

Sometimes a drop spindle is just a drop spindle.

7 Likes

The drop spindle identification sounds more likely, though I wonder if the creator didn’t deliberately make it a little more phallic looking because it amused them…

9 Likes

Why not both?

6 Likes

They must know because they tried.

And their name they were known by was The Loneliest Drop Spindle Maker.

1 Like

“Let the beat Spindle DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRop!”

1 Like

Well, you two fight it out among yourselves. :grin:

This was discussed in detail in the earlier topic. The drop spindle idea was pretty thoroughly debunked. The video you posted shows something entirely different from the Roman artifact.

So I’m going with it being a Roman multitool, so to speak, at least until @Doctor_Faustus confirms the possibility of it being a ritual object. :wink:

5 Likes

Moral of the story: just because you ardently wish for something to be an ancient Roman dildo, doesn’t mean it actually was one back in ancient Rome. But, it always can be a dildo now, if you want it hard enough.

3 Likes

Sure, it’s “not” a dildo and the people who owned it were just “roommates”.

6 Likes

[File Under: Sometimes a cigar is a dildo] Any object that is longer than it is wide and (assumably) smooth enough can be used as a dildo. Recently unearthed pagan statuette? Dildo. Roman Imperial triumph baton? Dildo. Wooden pestle used to prepare Marcus Aurelius’ garlic? Dildo.

2 Likes

right? maybe they were personally against unitask items WAAAAY before it was cool.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.