The mystery of brass Roman dodecahedrons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/04/the-mystery-of-brass-roman-dod.html

6 Likes

Ergastulis et Dracones?

18 Likes

Using a knitting fixture for military range finding is like measuring with a chicken.

2 Likes

Roman drones powered by Cavorite?

28 Likes

Nah.That’s what these are for:

14 Likes

This is the best and only answer. :clap::clap::clap:

4 Likes

I once said to a high quality leather glove maker
you don’t know how to glove size hands digitally

6 Likes

Why not? After all, they foretold omens of the future by looking at chicken entrails!

2 Likes

I brought one of those to Master Rahool in the tower. All he did is give me another pair of useless Aeon Safe gauntlets from it.

1 Like

I’m using the chicken to measure it.

2 Likes

I would say spaghetti serving sizer, except there wasn’t spaghetti yet. The holes are too small anyway, from the looks of it.

1 Like

I think these are just Roman spindle whorls with different sized holes for different spindle sizes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindle_whorl

2 Likes

Looks to me to be some kind of lightning gun attachment, I can tell by the emitter nodes and differently sized induction voids for regulating the voltage range.

9 Likes

You need one of those to play 45s.

11 Likes

Nah, they’re obviously for opening the Stargate. It’s not aliens except it’s

3 Likes

I can tell from the pixels that this has been photoshopped. Therefore these objects are clearly of supernatural origin, and details that reveal their secrets have been airbrushed out.

What is BB hiding?

3 Likes

I’m reminded of Netsuke… you’d never guess what they were for from the look of them.

So… you put one pole all the way through one pair of holes, then you put ten other poles into the other holes. Then you wrap a cord around the little nubins to hold the poles in place. Congratulations… you’ve joined a bunch of poles together! … a tent apex? … if you only put in five poles… likewise the apex of an umbrella? Hub for a wheel system?

2 Likes

source

3 Likes
1 Like

I don’t think Roman tents were that fancy, but it might explain why they were only in the north.

1 Like