What is the function of these mysterious ancient Roman dodecahedrons?

Originally published at: What is the function of these mysterious ancient Roman dodecahedrons? | Boing Boing

8 Likes

30 Likes

After WWII, when the Nazis escaped to the Moon, they found that the Romans had beaten them to it.

(All those Latin names on the map should have been a clue.)

20 Likes

Here’s a comparatively recent ‘clue’ to add to the consideration: the Roman empire existed all around the Mediterranean, yet these dodecahedrons have only been discovered in the more temperate Euro-zones:

source

(slightly more support for the ‘glove theory’ …maybe?)

12 Likes

They’re the ancient equivalent of spike strips. Just toss some on the appian way and you’ll stop any horse from crossing.

5 Likes

Assuming you’re not joking:

You’re thinking of caltrops, which already existed and in a much more practical, cheaper form.

12 Likes

Intoxication
Inculcation
Passification

3 Likes

Harder to understand the zodiac’s relation with the horizon, the further away from the equator you are. The different size holes might relate to the astronomical navigation in some way.

The knitting video doesn’t really take advantage of the different size holes, which seem to be an important feature.

5 Likes

Roll a 20, defeat the Demogorgon.

11 Likes

I would have loved to see the explanations the guests on this game show would have come up with.

10 Likes

The problem I have with the glove theory is that something that handy (rim shot) would have continued to be in use until the 20th century (e.g. spinning wheels and butter churns.) Regular folks didn’t just stop making gloves when the empire folded.

So I lean toward anything specific to the management of the Roman empire, whether it’s military or bureaucratic. Once the empire dissolved they were no longer needed.

15 Likes

or the surveying tool idea. look how they all stop right on that line where the map changes color. doesn’t look like a coincidence to me :cat2:

6 Likes

The feet would be pressed into a material to make 5 points? Or a pattern of 5 points, if rotated, and pressed.

For some reason the hole needs to be elevated? To cast a shadow like a gnomon?

I knit a pair of gloves every couple years (because they wear out, eh?), and I’ll continue using double-point needles, that “glove” in the video wouldn’t keep your fingers very warm in January if there’s even a light breeze.

12 Likes

Yeah, the glove thing is specious; I can imagine three better widgets that would help knit gloves. Given the variety of these things, they seem more like either toys, or some way for metalsmiths to demonstrate their skills.

2 Likes

The feet would measure the thickness of a coin? The different sized holes, the size of the coin, and it’s roundness?

15 Likes

3 Likes

18 comments in and nobody’s guessed “party cock ring” yet?

7 Likes

Dodeca-HE-dron