What is the function of these mysterious ancient Roman dodecahedrons?

Exactly. It’s a dodockahedron.

5 Likes

The different size holes? It’s clearly for measuring portions of uncooked spaghetti.

17 Likes

In 2000 years, archaeologists will be just as stumped by knickknacks from IKEA.

3 Likes

They’re combination hub/bearings for spoked wheels. The knobs are to fasten the spokes to. When the bearing wears to the point of wobbling, you pull it off the axle, detach the spokes, twist the hub to use fresh bearings and re-spoke the wheel. This lets you travel even farther from the factory without having to carry spares.

3 Likes

IMO that “glove” in the video proves quite definitively that this isn’t a knitting tool. A knitting tool that forces you to use a sewing needle? For results that bad? Nope, nobody would use that.

Plus, mittens are what keep you properly warm, not gloves with fingers, and anyone needing the dexterity of fingered gloves would likely use leather work gloves anyhow.

No utility, no increased practicality, no luxury? This ain’t it.

3 Likes

To be fair the video only really shows the casting-off portion of the process, not the speed with which one can form the fingers.

These may be functional as glove liners to be worn under the leather gloves to prevent abrasion while giving a small amount of warmth.

I’m not convinced by the glove theory either, by the by. Clearly they are the intersections of a buckminster fuller geodesic dome.

7 Likes

They are concrete strengtheners.

Damn, you beat me to it! :smiley:

Deleting superfluous posting.

There are devices for “knitting” a tube that you need a tapestry needle or similar to get the yarn over the peg. I have used one and they take at least twice as long to use as knitting with needles, basically a total PITA.

6 Likes

Really? Well never mind then!

2 Likes

Hmm, those are all tea-drinking regions, and if I remember my sources correctly (Asterix in Britain) they started drinking tea during the Roman era. So I’m going to propose tea balls for really huge tea leaves.

7 Likes

But had the Chinese invented spaghetti by then?

what does this shadowy group called “archaeologists” know about ikea knickknacks today? cause i have no idea what most of them are for now!

2 Likes

We’re too busy at the moment suppressing the real truth as discovered by Graham Hancock to have time to typologise IKEA inventory

3 Likes

Ritual purposes.

5 Likes

FB_IMG_1475288055365

2 Likes

As the old archeologist joke goes, “If you don’t know what it is, it’s ‘ceremonial’”

4 Likes

My Högsma is more ritual than cermonial.

2 Likes

Isn’t it obvious?

It’s barbarians that gain 1d12 hit dice per level; and where in the empire would running simulations of barbarian combat effectiveness be a more urgent requirement?

The organizational aspects wouldn’t preserve as well; but they probably had a whole ENIAC on the Rubicon thing going on: constant refinement of norman and frankish distributions, Arminius variance; and the like.

7 Likes

… nothing from IKEA will last a thousand years

2 Likes