Man with metal detector turns up rare 2,000-year-old Roman artifact

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/26/man-with-metal-detector-turns.html

5 Likes

Anyone else miss Time Team?

10 Likes

At least the guy was awesome about where it should end up.

13 Likes

My dad used to enjoy combing the beach (and his backyard) with a metal detector, but unfortunately he never dug up anything like this 2,000-year-old Roman ingot that metal detector hobbyist (metal detective?) Rob Jones found in a field in Rossett, Wales, UK.

I’m guessing you haven’t watched Detectorists which is a beautiful, affectionate and hilarious comedy about the hobby. Highly recommended.

30 Likes

Absolutely wonderful show. I wish they would do another season.

6 Likes

Is the University of Thirsk involved in this somehow?

Nothing like seeing they produced lead in 140-pound ingots to really drive home the scale of Roman era lead poisoning

17 Likes

Roman ingot that metal detector hobbyist (metal detective?)

They call themselves detectorists. (@pesco)

And as @Jamie pointed out, that show was superb - one of the most brilliant pieces of television in the last decade, with a sublime story arc over its first 2 series. (There was a third and a special after that.)

11 Likes

Hrm - the last time I tried metal detecting I found some pull tabs and a Coors light can from the late 70s/early 80s.

6 Likes

From the items you found, I’d say you gave up too soon. You probably weren’t far from a buried, ceremonial Trans Am. You probably missed out on a treasure trove of 8-track tapes, maybe cassettes depending on the layer. Although, I wouldn’t kick myself too hard, as these types of digs have usually already been looted.

16 Likes

The ring-pull was a sort of running gag in Detectorists. I suspect it is the single most commonly found item by anyone with a metal detector.

12 Likes

I’ll add my voice to the chorus of praise for Detectorists, one of the best comedies ever.

I also note that the great thing about finding a 63kg lead ingot is that a magpie is unlikely to fly off with it.

16 Likes

Yeah, my detector has a way to “hide” pull tab blips. But it will sometimes also look like a nickle. After the 2nd one, I was like, this is also probably a pull tab, but I need practice of finding the item first dig. I keep “missing”.

I did get this new digging tool, it looks sorta like a survival knife crossed with a spade and good for removing a “core”.

2 Likes

This seems like a good time to recommend and insanely charming and sweet BBC sitcom called “The Detectorists” - which is about a small group of people who do exactly this kind of thing. Find it on your favorite streaming services… and now I notice that several other people have already mentioned it. lol.

4 Likes

its unique inscription

which is?

bangs gong
BRING OUT YER LEAD!

16 Likes

The third was also good, especially the final episodes. The hedgehog scene is one of my favourite bits of comedy ever.

4 Likes

7 Likes

As an archaeologist Time Team has always been and will always be my balm for the not being on an excavation blues.

5 Likes

I can’t bring myself to watch it. I have very complicated feelings about detectorists. Certainly don’t want to see them lionised on TV.

1 Like