Palestinian negotiator on Jared Kushner, Mideast peace envoy

Is that what it is? I was thinking “Lawn Jart”,

You should visit the Nelson-Atkins in Kansas City some time.

14 Likes

Where would we be if it didn’t?

3 Likes

Jared definitely married into the right family. He’s as much one of them as if he was born to it.

12 Likes

Oh, WOW! I was checking to see if I remembered correctly that they were called “Jarts” (had a set when young), came on this right away: Following Recent Injury CPSC Reissues Warning: Lawn Darts Are Banned and Should Be Destroyed

So, like, 3 kids died (tragic), and the product gets banned. And then the gun manufacturers are next, right? Like, how many kids killed by handguns?

Sorry, I know it’s OT, but talk about hypocrisy.

10 Likes

Hm, sounds familiar, I’m getting a hint of orange?

1 Like

Terry Pratchett’s works include several references to alternate histories of Discworld. Men At Arms observes that in millions of universes, Edward d’Eath became an obsessive recluse rather than the instigator of the plot that he is in the novel. In Jingo , Vimes accidentally picks up a pocket organizer that should have gone down another leg of the Trousers of Time, and so can hear the organizer reporting on the deaths that would have occurred had his decision gone otherwise. Indeed, Discworld contains an equivalent of the Time Patrol in its History Monks. Night Watch revolves around a repair of history after a time traveller’s murder of an important figure in Vimes’s past. Thief of Time presents them functioning as a full-scale Time Patrol, ensuring that history occurs at all.

9 Likes

There are far worse places to be than Discworld.
For example…

7 Likes

Hopefully you’re having a stroke and not talking about 45

1 Like

Everybody knows the new cold war will be with the Dutch.

3 Likes

The religious parties flourished under Middle East dictatorships for several reasons:

1. They could be appropriated for pro-government purposes
  2. They drove out moderate to democratic forces through threats of sectarian violence, reinforcing dictators
  3. They could be used to extend political influence abroad (See Pakistan, Iran and Saudi Arabia’s use of proxy forces)

What seems to work in favor of peace in Israel/Palestinian authority is Saudi Arabia and Iran have apparently lost interest in the Palestinian leadership in both Gaza and the West Bank as proxy forces. Finding more direct supporters in Yemen, Iraq and Syria more useful in their cold war with each other.

And because we had a hand in eliminating alternatives that were more democratic and secular. We backed and supported the Saudis and the Mujahandin among others. We haven’t exactly put up too much fuss over Erdogan. The problem with the Muslim Brotherhood wasn’t that they were religious, but that they might possibly vote against what we consider our regional interests (including splinting with the saudis and Israelis). It’s not just regional actors that are the problem.

9 Likes
5 Likes

I see you’ve already fallen for our first deception attack. Nobody actually dresses like that :grin:

4 Likes

The fact we don’t back the YPK in Rojava is definitely an indication that we really don’t give two hoots about democracy anywhere. Like they’re literally a confederation of towns which some now have women as heads of the government there. Yet some how we can’t figure out how to ditch the likes of the Saudi royal family. I swear the Kissinger ‘real politik’ meme needs to die.

9 Likes

Yes! And this is by no means a new state of affairs. We regularly backed right wing dictators who promised to participate in the free market. We really are willing to put democracy on the back burner, so long as we get access to the markets that we want.

Indeed! And soon.

11 Likes

In Western “democracies”, capital trumps democracy every time.

3 Likes

Jesus @beschizza this shooped image is the stuff of nightmares. Painful.

Do you have a barrel of industrial strength unicorn chaser solvent or something over there?

3 Likes

Shuttlecock.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.