Pallet wood cabin

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/05/pallet-wood-cabin.html

2 Likes

Awesome video work.

No spoilers, but the ending really got me in the feels. Life is short!

2 Likes

But now I’m ruining it for everyone!

Yes you did, and thank you!

1 Like

The horror short sounds awesome. Perfect use of the cabin-building genre.

My dad spent 2 or 3 years with another guy in a remote part of Alaska in a cabin. Sounds like it was kinda fun, but also kind a pain in the ass. Especially when one of the guys he was paired up with he couldn’t stand.

2 Likes

Be sure to check the markings first, even if you’re just making a coffee table.

This can’t be said too often.

3 Likes

This is like Primitive Technology for Northies. Extra points for the log stove (not the shiny metal one, which was also pretty cool).

Free pallet wood is a lot of work, so it’s not necessarily a bargain when you figure in the labor-- you have to take it apart, remove nails, and often the pallets are already kind of destroyed (the best ones get reused for more shipping.)

That said, these guys did a nice job, but if you’re going to do that much work you should still put it on some kind of foundation, even just a bunch of rocks or cinder blocks.

I have seen a quite a few makeshift homeless shanties made from pallets, usually they just lean them against each other and a throw a tarp or scavenged carpet over the top.

1 Like

My dad made a couple work benches from pallet wood, but I think he cut off some of the ends with nails to make it faster.

1 Like

I dig that little stove business.

Also, I was mildly entertained by the assorted fasteners in jars.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.