Pam Grossman talks "waking the witch," empowerment, and the magic of art on Ultraculture

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/14/pam-grossman-talks-waking-th.html

1 Like

Is this witchcraft like in the spiritual and philosophical sense or witchcraft in the ‘I can cast spells that literally affect the world’ sense?

Just as long as it sounds good.

I am grateful for Pam’s voice.

From an interview with Grimoire:

Right now, we’re seeing an uptick in the embrace of the dark feminine overall. As with the phrase “nasty woman” being reclaimed and resignified by feminists of all stripes, the word “witch” is now being worn as a badge of pride. Witches are change-makers. They’re transgressive beings who dwell on the fringes of society, and so they’re the perfect icon for rebels, outsiders, and rabble-rousers, especially those of the female persuasion.

Women are tired of being told we have to be bright, happy, pretty, and pleasing all the time, while still being paid less and given less autonomy over our bodies and lives. By embracing our dark aspects, we are rejecting the paradigm of “perfection” and oppression that centuries of history have calcified in our collective psyche.

Most significantly, the witch is the antithesis of patriarchal structures. She represents an alternative way of being across so many systems. She is comfortable being solitary, but she also works beautifully in community via a coven or other democratic gathering. She honors the Earth and cycles of nature. She has direct access to the divine, and she doesn’t need a mediator or to follow any one book or dogma. She is intuitive, imaginative, and independent. She is a figure of freedom. And so she is who we need right now, and who we need to be.

I think this movement is only going to grow and deepen. Whether metaphorically or literally speaking, I sincerely believe that witches are the future.

I haven’t listened to the podcast yet, but from looking at the page, I’m going to guess the answer is “yes”.

2 Likes

I had a whole bunch written here, but like…delusional magic-casters or aesthetic, I can’t decide. Either way I’m clearly not the target audience so I’ll just walk away.

More apt, I think:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.