Papyrus typeface absent in Avatar 2 trailer

What, we aren’t counting Howard the Duck now? I thought he was canon!

(Also my son frequently likes to point out some of the more obscure movies like the 1978 version of Dr Strange.)

5 Likes

Don’t forget the knock-off they made after the producers’ rights to Dr. Strange expired:

My wife can’t watch 3D movies either. We went to see Avatar and had to walk out, but the same theater had a 2D showing and exchanged the tickets. It was entertaining. Nothing I’ve been wishing for a decade to see a sequel for, but if it makes it to some streaming service I have a subscription to someday I’ll likely give it a go.

Blade was also a marvel comic.

I don’t think the Incredible Hulk movie was actually part of the MCU, maybe it was originally intended to, but stylistically it is constructed very differently, and I don’t think it was in the same continuity? I guess in-fiction if it was in the same Earth-616 it was MCU, otherwise not so much. Outside of the fiction I think if Kevin Feige says it is MCU then it is, otherwise not so much?

(I think it would be awesome to get a MCU Squirrel Girl movie…but I would watch a MCU Howard the Duck)

1 Like

The facial proportions are all wrong, things are kind of oddly pinched. I’ve always found it to be down right unpleasant to look at. Even as an illustration.

THAT Howard the duck.

Canon Howard the Duck:

1 Like

The after credits scene sure seemed to indicate a connection with the recent Iron Man movie though.

3 Likes

The one that introduced the world to the concept of duck-boobies. (Which is to say alien ducks with human-like mammary glands, not some kind of seabird-hybrid species).

2 Likes

Incredible Hulk, the Ed Norton one, was and is explicitly a canon MCU film.

It had one of the first bits of genuine cross over with a stinger that had Tony Stark in it. The film’s version of General Ross has continued to appear, and it’s version of Abomination recently cropped up in Shang Chi.

They just recast Mark Ruffalo in the role and don’t mention the film itself much.

Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn’t refer to every single Marvel tv and film project. It’s just the one series. Which is why I specifically said MCU and not “Marvel Movie”.

As to why it doesn’t match. It was only the second entry and was made before Iron Man was a hit.

1 Like

Hmmm, ok. I’m wrong, you’ll are right. (seriously, not in a sarcastic way – apparently I forgot about bit)

Oh, yeah, sure like many TV pilots have a different vibe from the rest of the series. The Hulk was also a flop…

I’m pretty sure Marvel did until a few months ago.

Yeah basically. They modeled the whole tone and approach off the one that made all the moneys.

That’s why John Favreau is still involved on the back end. He basically invented our idea of what a Marvel Movie looks and feels like.

Also the recent “What If…” series had an alternate-universe version of the scene from the Ed Norton movie where Ross & company confront Hulk at Culver University, but they swapped out Norton-Banner with Ruffalo-Banner.

2 Likes

I enjoyed this sketch so much more than Avatar. I’ve never rewatched Avatar, but I have to watch this sketch every other year or so.

1 Like

avatar more directly parallels the word for world is forest, i think ( minus the whole white savior protagonist thing. )

while not le guin at her best, still worth the read.

The story focuses on a military logging colony set up on the fictional planet of Athshe by people from Earth. The colonists have enslaved the non-aggressive native Athsheans. Eventually, one of the natives leads a revolt and succeeds in getting them to leave the planet. However, in the process their own peaceful culture is introduced to mass violence for the first time

3 Likes

Future timey wimey multiverse magic spell stuff could bring Ed Norton back as Red Hulk. Or just another mean green hulk. I mean, it’s been shown to be financially viable to bring back characters from less financially successful incarnations of marvel movies that had decent actors in them.

My son was really hoping that the new Dr Strange movie would include the 1978 version as one of the multiverse characters. I like the idea of the equivalent of “Disco Janet” from The Good Place. (I haven’t seen the new film but sadly, according to IMDB the 70’s actor Peter Hooten doesn’t make an appearance).

1 Like

I have wanted them to do a David Hasselhoff cameo of him as Nick Fury. Ideally just real Fury in a disguise.

1 Like

I shall read! “Left Hand of Darkness” is still one of my all-time favorites. How could i have missed TWFWIF??

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.