James Cameron already has plans for Avatar 6 & 7

Originally published at: James Cameron already has plans for Avatar 6 & 7 | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I wonder if he regrets having the franchise saddled with that title. At the end of the first movie the protagonist got his mind permanently transferred into his new body, so it was now the real Jake, and no longer just an “avatar.” So the longer that this series goes on the less relevant that title will be. Unless, of course, the bad guys return with a bunch of new alien hybrid bodies that were engineered for combat or something. I guess something like that is inevitable by the time we get to the 7th installment.

5 Likes

I had the – possibly mistaken – impression from the trailer that that’s exactly what happens in this installment.

In episode 7, they blow up the Death Star again. No, wait, wrong franchise.

I think Cameron may have overestimated how much appetite there is for “Giant Blue People do shit”. “Avatar” was very pretty, but I get the idea that most people find it all oddly uncompelling. It somehow lacks whatever magic spark it is that makes something like “Dune” or “Lord of the Rings” or “Star Wars” a cult favorite.

14 Likes

When it comes to sequels and their marketing budgets, all that the film industry cares about is big box office. The first movie’s performance got him this sequel, and we’ll see if he can keep going.

3 Likes

So he’s going to skip right over 3, 4, and 5?

EDIT: I see that #3 is already “in the can”

3 Likes

The thing is, those three properties that you mentioned have life far beyond the movies. In fact, I would say that the movies are the tip of the iceberg for all of them.

Avatar on the other hand has, what?, one movie and a section of a theme park? I know there is a game, which no one has played, definitely a comic book or two, and there might even be novels but I cannot be bothered to check.

I guess what I am saying is that as long as avatar remains primarily a movie franchise it is not going to hit anything like these other properties that reconfigure themselves to work across, and monopolize attention across, multiple media formats.

4 Likes

It’s good to have a plan.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I’m mostly expecting a Matrix sequels trajectory for 2 and 3 (and 4…). This feels like the film version of Dean Kamen’s Segway. A lot of hype, but are people really particularly interested in watching sequels to Avatar aside from the novelty value of seeing if it was worth it?

4 Likes

I have to admit that I love the idea of Avatar 4 being a thinly veiled dig by James Cameron at James Cameron for forcing him to make it

6 Likes

2 Likes

Maybe it’s like Star Wars, starting with IV.

6 Likes

6 and 7? FFS, James, just give it to Disney to make a paywalled TV series and leave the rest of us alone, won’t you?

6 Likes

Goddess, I hope not. I don’t even want the 2nd one.

9 Likes

I went with a good friend to see the original. She was blown away. I thought the story was lame, but the 3D was pretty. If I can see the 2nd one in 3D, I’ll think about it. Otherwise, pass.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Well, I thought Dances with Wolves was lame, too! :wink:

6 Likes

14 Likes

3D never impressed me. I’d rather see the regular version.

And now with one bad eye - it’s impossible to watch.

8 Likes

Oh! I didn’t know! That sucks, and I’m sorry.

8 Likes