'Parasite' actor found dead after 19-hour Police Interrogation

Originally published at: 'Parasite' actor found dead after 19-hour Police Interrogation - Boing Boing

2 Likes

Is fascism taking over everywhere? WTF.

16 Likes

The actor had faced three rounds of lengthy interrogation

I read that the last one, shortly before his death, lasted 19 hours.

He was good in Parasite, and awesome in my favorite K-drama, My Mister.

17 Likes

The War on Drugs, wherever it lives, is both cruel and ineffective.

33 Likes

South Korea was basically a dictatorship until the mid-1980s.

15 Likes

Reminds me of a line from Craig Ferguson’s monologue on addiction “you can embarrass somebody to death”

4 Likes

I still need to see that movie.

It is a shame when talented people die too young.

5 Likes

well, its a fucking “shame” when your fucking goverment drives you into suicide;

Lee, 48, was found after his wife reported to police that he had left home, and she had found what appeared to be a suicide note, South Korean news agency Yonhap reported.

He is survived by wife Jeon Hye-jin and two sons.

fuck!

10 Likes
8 Likes

“good” read… :expressionless:

(godfuckigdamnit!)

5 Likes

Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon

8 Likes

They conducted heavy industrial espionage from then until the mid-1990s as well. Canadian technology companies were frequently briefed on this by CSIS when they had joint communication tech projects with South Korean businesses.

5 Likes

I remember watching the South Korean pro-democracy riots on the news as a teenager, and being very confused. I asked my parents what, exactly, we were fighting for in the Korean War I saw on MASH. Was what we were fighting for so bad that students not much older than me were fighting police in the streets to get rid of it? I don’t recall their answers, but I do remember feeling unsatisfied.

13 Likes

Mom told me both the Korean and Viet Nam wars were b/c natural resources. She said tungsten and oil; I can’t remember which from which country.

well, even now i’d guess north korea’s abundance of rare earth materials probably provides the government with a stability it wouldn’t have otherwise

North Korea is thought to have tremendous potential metal resources (and particularly rare-earth metals), which have been valued in excess of US$6 trillion by the South Korean national mining company. There is much investment from Chinese mining companies, with an estimated $500 million investment in the last 11 years. 41% of all Chinese companies trading in North Korea are involved in mining

1 Like

The open secret is that the current conservative administration has been pushing their “war on drugs” (literally calling it that), which had been the direct cause to the loss of crowd-control in Itaewon that led to the crushing deaths Halloween 2022 (the police was directed to prioritize on undercover drug stings that night in that neighborhood, to dial down visible police presence so that it would not discourage criminal activity). Reporters were already present as they were “tipped off” to be ready for some juicy drug crackdown news, instead they found themselves covering a mass-tragedy.

and “breaking news” about investigations on celebrity drug use has become a convenient way to try to drown out their own scandals.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.