Parents are not just opting their children into ritual abuse, they are thanking the school for it

I’m sure there are plenty who are legitimately thrilled.

8 Likes

Great. Now the far right wingnuts in my country will ask for this here. They are already advocating for the parents’ right to assault their own children and calling it “love slapping”.

7 Likes

We called it “The Board of Education” :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Born in 1964, 12 years of Catholic education. The 4 high school years were worse than the public schools they claimed they were better than

No official paddling but the nuns in grade school did use the rulers and pointers as weapons with erasers being thrown as well.

Of course that era at home was belts and face slapping. And I mean big leather belts or barber strap. And for god sake take of your college ring when slapping your kid in the face.

We were young and stupid when our daughter was born but as soon as she could understand why she shouldn’t do things with talking and time outs the little spanking we did ended. I think around two.

I have some hard core christian friends that kept a paint stick within reach because spare the rod…

2 Likes

Forbidden Cricket is go! Someone go nuts on the requirements like fine lawnkeeping, reductive emergency medicine, and spectator betting. Better start selling banana peel Krispie Treats so’s to print up the odds sheets and the subscription to Journal of Lower, Lower Education (edible toner is expensive!?)

7 Likes

My parents believed in spanking though they didn’t do it often. It was “what parents did” in the 1950s. Dad was the official spanker–Mom didn’t like the process. So my brother or I would do something wrong and Mom would get angry and sentence us to a spanking when Dad got home. I can’t remember how many times Dad would come home in a good mood and be blindsided by a spanking assignment over something he had no part in. I could see on his face that he didn’t like it, but being the official spanker he performed the ritual.

6 Likes

Thinking through this much later, from my personal experience - paddling, the strap and outright backhands were most often leveled at the socially awkward kids. Like, whomever the other kids picked on the most, that was who got paddles the most in my grade school. I don’t think it was imitation of one group by the other, but kids who could not make social connections for one reason or another were by far the ones who received corporal punishment the most regularly. Just an observation.

5 Likes

It could be worse.

I mean, you could be an autistic child whose parents send you to a place where they literally strap a remote control taser to you and give an electric shock for such crimes as “saying no” or “tensing up in fear of getting an electric shock” or “reacting when someone else is given an electric shock”.

Oh, you thought I was making it up? Or exaggerating? Or talking about something which wasn’t happening right now as you read this?

The Judge Rotenberg Center’s behavior modification program uses the methods of applied behavior analysis and relies heavily on aversion therapy. Aversives used by the JRC include contingent food programs, long-term restraints, sensory deprivation, and GED shocks. While JRC claims to rely mainly on positive behavior support and contends that aversives are used only as a last resort when positive intervention has failed, multiple state reports have found that aversives are used for minor infractions, and that no significant positive behavior support programs exist.

In a video that surfaced in 2011, JRC staff tied an autistic boy face-down to a four-point board and shocked him 31 times at the highest amperage setting. The first shock was given for failing to take off his coat when asked, and the remaining 30 shocks were given for screaming and tensing up while being shocked. The boy was later hospitalized with third degree burns and acute stress disorder, but no action was taken against any of the staff as neither the law nor JRC policy had been broken. In a separate incident, two residents were awoken from their beds at night, restrained, and shocked 29 and 77 times on the allegation that they had misbehaved. The center’s founder, Matthew Israel, was indicted on criminal charges for ordering a video of the incident destroyed and was forced to resign his position at the JRC as part of a plea deal to avoid prosecution.[5]

There have been repeated attempts to shut down the center by autism rights advocates, disability rights advocates, and human rights advocates. Organizations that oppose the center include the Autistic Self Advocacy Network, Disability Rights International, and Community Alliance for the Ethical Treatment of Youth. Six residents have died at the institute since it was founded in 1971.[6][7]

16 Likes

Oops, sorry, wrong topic.

It’s also institutional sadism!

3 Likes

They’d prefer to beat their own children, but will sacrifice mild Authority when children are out of sight and with the understanding that other children are beaten to blood.

Why would a right-wing authoritarian care about the intact bodies of their children? Autonomy is their enemy, not child-abuse.

7 Likes
4 Likes

I am blown away that corporal punishment of minors is still allowed in many states.

There is overwhelming scientific evidence that hitting kids is never even close to OK.

Looking at my parents generation. The people I know who were beaten at school didn’t start behaving better, but they sure have some complex emotional issues as a result. My Dad developed a strong hatred for the Church after all the beatings he received from school Nuns (He described some pretty horrific things).

As a parent how the hell could you wish this on your kids?

Parenting is hard. And discipline is very hard. It takes longer, but calmly enforcing a consequence, talking to your kid like a person when they calm down enough, and offering affection works wonders.

8 Likes

My recollection (again with that nice place to be from) is that, from junior high on up*, corporal punishment was meted out by a vice-principal – except, for some reason, athletic coaches and the band director. I never got in enough trouble to have experienced it first-hand.

However, during the first week of school, the P.E. coaches told us we had to bring in a towel fee (a couple of bucks or so) to pay for providing and laundering gym towels. We were told we’d get the paddle if we didn’t pay up. It was only years later it occurred to me that amounts to extortion (of a child, at that). ETA: There were usually no towels on offer in spite of the towel fee making them ostensibly available.

*In elementary school, evidently any teacher could give a paddling. I think there had to be another teacher as a witness.

6 Likes

usually these days they just hire cops to do it

Violence is endemic to their worldview.

I wonder how 1:1 forced birth is comorbid with demanding systemic child abuse like this.

3 Likes

My first teacher in Primary School circa 1984 often lamented that she couldn’t hit us any more.

4 Likes

Some moved on to other ways they were allowed to, grade school teacher in my neighborhood mid-80s locked children they didn’t like in supply closets.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.