Parisians try to pronounce challenging English words like 'squirrel' and 'Massachusetts'

We’re doing “what English sounds like to foreigners” again? Time to dig up this classic:

12 Likes

Edit: Damn, beat me to it. Prisencolinensinainciusol is great.

We could turn it around and try to make English speakers spell long words that they know how to pronounce…

5 Likes

Bring it!

This game is so much easier online :grin:

2 Likes

Worchestershire!

8 Likes

SO close!!

4 Likes

I suspect Americans can spell this, because we have no clue how to say it. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Difficulty in pronouncing squirrel: See also Japanese (my wife anyway). The closest thing ends up being something like “squiru”.

Its also funny hearing her talk about the day which people vote for their leaders in the democratic process.

10 Likes

Except they wouldn’t laugh, they would suggest something patronizing (“No, itz-good, really ok”) and very subtly roll their eyes, (source: dated a French post-doc for three years). Or to quote professor Henry Higgins from ‘My Fair Lady’: “The French don’t care what they do actually, as long as they pronounce it properly.”

4 Likes

Junyer Bear: I will fill your favorite pipe for you, dear old dad, Pa. G-U-N-P-O-W-D-E-R, tobacco. I am a good speller, I am. C-A-T, dog. B-A-T, Rhode Island.

8 Likes

Meh, it’ll smoke… :joy:

Not sure if you’ve seen it…but just in time for Father’s Day.

4 Likes

kiss-queue-sale

1 Like

peerings with the sleeze

Worcester is the really difficult one. At least Massachusetts style.

3 Likes

Tuesday?

more characters here

1 Like

The strange thing I’ve noticed with Spanish as my second language, is that English words sound quite jarring to me when mixed into Spanish, yet Spanish words can (and do) slide into English just fine.

2 Likes

I know a few Newfoundlanders and Acadians who would 'ave a 'ard time pronouncing ‘Hedgehog’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Obligatory response

9 Likes

It’s skwi-rul. Ok? None of that squirl nonsense, thank you very much.