Parler is gone

Wow. So… the first massively-crowd-sourced self-surveilled public event! Or nah, concerts and whatnot, someone else always did it first – fucking internet! – but that’s good, there must be infrastructure already for the next step, which is of course using the time-stamps and geo-coding off all those texts and, esPECially, videos, to build a comprehensive 4D traversable map of it all! Optimally, eventually, you’d want a 3D map of the capitol complex to land it on, and then a program to sift through everything and dot the landscape with little clickable icons of each cell-phoned media snippet, filterable by time, type, length, and of course sender. So you could stand on the square outside the building and pull up all the feeds from there for a particular time, like when they pushed past the first line of barricades. Or you could follow the trail of a particularly documentative poster from hotel to bus to mob to Pelosi’s office. Or… wow. Lots of possible use cases. Deeply problematic in so many ways!

14 Likes

I had a look at the Twitter account mentioned in the above screencap - if this person didn’t participate in a mass data-mining project then she did a hell of a job roleplaying over the last couple days.

11 Likes

How about this: stop being jack-holes.

Us gen-x’ers used tech (PCBs, x86, etc) to lay the foundation for an amazing platform for you and your kids to congregate both inter-state and internationally when travel became a problem. The new kids created FaceTime and Zoom, so obviously we taught them well (two thumbs up to you crazy 20 y/o).

Don’t use it to spread hate. That’s not what we made it for.

Ta, ta, parler. GDIAF.

16 Likes

Well, you can visit the archives and download stuff from it, so I assume it’s real. News sites are starting to report on it, too (there’s a Gizmodo link in Reddit that I haven’t followed.)

People are finding photos with EXIF data using their phone’s own GPS to place them inside the Capitol building during the insurrection and the murders of two policemen. Not that LE wasn’t already scooping up cell phone data providing the identities of the mob, but it’s nice to have corroborating evidence.

Every indication is that this is the real deal.

9 Likes

It baffles my mind why anyone would put a friggin’ emogi there.

3 Likes

While it’s hilarious, there’s little doubt that Amazon has already turned over full backups of the Parler databases to the FBI to assist in prosecution.

This wide-open torrent of the choads’ data will provide amusement for the OSINT folks and fuel lots of news stories, but may not be up to the same evidentiary standards required for admissibility in court (chain of custody, proof of non-modification, etc).

16 Likes

Hm. Let’s see what’s happening on Zeronet… Nothing much, although I’m not searching off the main page, as it were.

1 Like

Think you mean CHUDs’ there.

My eyes…

ETA Murphry’s Law

5 Likes

There’s a CBS news story running right now, showing sample posts. Like Lin Wood calling for Pence to be shot by the Capitol insurrectionists.

I hope Gab is next.

30 Likes

Came to pass this a long.

There are some people with red hats and fast fingers who will have their heart skip a beat every time the door bell rings in the coming months.

29 Likes

“Hold patriots “accountable”?”

I like the quotation marks. . . “Oh yeah, making us liable for inciting violence is so totally bullshit!”

11 Likes

How is this guy not in jail right now?

22 Likes
15 Likes

I keep wondering how his client isn’t in jail as well.

11 Likes

I don’t like the fact that the Internet is basically a small group of corporations but this is what you get when you keep supporting unfettered capitalism. Also, nothing of value was lost with Parler. I’d rather have Sci-hub get the kind of attention that Parler got. Seriously.

13 Likes

Also, how does he still have his law license?

8 Likes

I’ve a question for the tech ppl here: If someone has the parler app (I do not) and parler moves to different servers, etc. does the app continue to work or must it be updated or something? TIA.

3 Likes

The app accesses the data presumably with a URL e.g., data.parler.com/blah. The domain can pe pointed to a new server rather easily. I haven’t heard of the domain name itself being shut down.

9 Likes

As a real old school gabber from the 1990s, may they all go fuck themselves for stealing that name.

28 Likes

The quotes are in the wrong place. The only patriots who we should be okay with attacking Washington’s leaders work for Bill Belichick and do their attacking on the American football field.

4 Likes