Parody news report from 9/11

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/11/parody-news-report-from-9-11.html

4 Likes

Oof, they did this in…2004? Moxie.

4 Likes

The Day Today team and follow-up Brasse Eye team ain’t nothing but moxie.

5 Likes

Perspective. The UK saw thirty years of The Troubles, including mortar attacks on Heathrow.

One side effect of xenophobia being a core tenet of the modern Republican party is continuing humorless wailing about things we should have gotten over years ago.

6 Likes

They also did THIS in the Guardian in 2002 !

7 Likes

I see the humor, but having a hard time finding it funny.

3 Likes

The Day Today’s piece on the IRA was amazing

9 Likes

This confused me, because I was ready to swear the The Day Today was from the early/mid 1990s, and had finished long before 9/11.

Turns out I was right: this is an Easter egg from the DVD compilation, which I’m guessing was released to mark the 10-year anniversary of the series.

My personal favourite memory of the series: I was watching the episode that featured a fight between the Queen and John Major (Prime Minister at the time), when my flatmate came in, saw an apparently genuine news report with footage of silhouettes in the windows of Buckingham Palace throwing fisticuffs at each other, and sat down with open mouth for a good minute before eventually asking, “Is this a spoof?”

5 Likes

I remember it quite well but my memory of it was audio/visual so I must have been mixing it up with another Peter O’Hanraha-hanrahan segment. And it makes sense that I would have heard it on the DVD, so thanks for filling in the gaps in my memory.

The Day Today really was superb. This bit makes me laugh every time:

4 Likes

“PAEDOGEDDON!”

2 Likes

The Onion still has two of the best pieces:

The last one had me weeping.

6 Likes

Not just Heathrow

5 Likes

It’s not really. It is all about a recurring character and how useless they are.

Their IRA bomb dogs above is sheer genius though. I think of it a lot at the moment as the newsreader (Morris) says of some of the victims “being old they would have died soon anyway”, at the time it was ridiculous. Now it seems prescient.

2 Likes

Indeed, for context:

4 Likes

Also the steady drip-drip of bombings and shootings and mortorings and extortions and punishment beatings in that disputed corner of the UK which continued for decades in between the occasional attacks in England.

1 Like

Ich nichten lichten

2 Likes

Played by Patrick Marber, of course, the famous playwright.

1 Like

This is a made up drug!

4 Likes

Wasn’t there also a bombing of a Tory party meeting being held at a hotel that Thatcher was at?

1 Like

Part of it is still available online

It’s pretty savage, I doubt that many Americans would find it funny:

US is criticised over ‘manipulative’ 20TH Olympics opening ceremony in which the entire American team form a human twin towers which is then smashed into by a flying snowboarder dressed as an Arab and carrying the ribcage of a genuine New York fireman. As chained al-Qaeda suspects sing ‘God Bless America’ at gunpoint, 100,000 doves with weights tied to their ankles are released to recreate an engulfing mass of white dust and the crowd tearfully applaud for five hours.