Partisan Gerrymandering Upheld by Supreme Court

That is largely why the gerrymandering cases in NC and MD were combined. MD is one of the few states that is expressly gerrymandered by the Democratic Party to reduce the congressional representation of the GOP.

edited to add link. Maryland's congressional districts - Wikipedia

4 Likes

Has anyone tried?

4 Likes

You assume that if Ginsberg had stepped down during Obama’s tenure, McConnell would have done what he was supposed to do and give her nominated replacement a hearing.

He would not have. And when it looked like Hillary was going to win, there were Republican members of the Senate openly stating that if a seat opened up during her presidency, they were prepared to hold it open until the next Republican president got elected. There’s no winning against these assholes as long as they remain in power, because they will use that power to keep themselves there. The only winning move is removal.

26 Likes

The drummer Mo Tucker from the Velvet Underground comes to mind…

3 Likes

I’m glad they ruled that way on the census question, but there’s no doubt that Roberts did so more out of concern for the welfare of his beloved corporations than he did as an statement against gratuitous racism (the rest of the conservatives dissented, not wanting even the hint that they might be concerned about the latter).

6 Likes

Good news! They blocked the citizenship question.

Edit: Aww. Akimbo_not beat me to it.

8 Likes

As @knappa points out, gerrymandering has not been limited to one party. What the ruling means is that the party that controls a state can still redistrict however they want. The good news is that the march of history favors increasing statewide Democratic majorities, which at least means control of the governors’ offices (which are unaffected by gerrymandering). In some states there is also the possibility of the majority eliminating it through referendum or concon.

2 Likes

Yes. Replacing FPTP voting with a ranked choice system would eliminate a lot of the point of gerrymandering for both duopoly parties.

10 Likes

32 Likes

The ayn-caps told them lies about how they would only be truly free if they got elected into government. Not all of the hippies believed it, but enough did to cause us problems now.

8 Likes

Maryland’s Republican governor, Larry Hogan, has tried to get an independent commission to take over redistricting — with little success.

2 Likes

Bit if a surprise! And at least there are still a lot of gerrymandering cases in the lower courts, and thay big ole pile of hard drives to fuck up the Right’s justifications. That gerrymandering ruling is as much a request for more lower court rulings as anything.

2 Likes

This decision is about more than gerrymandering. It sets the stage for SCOTUS to abdicate itself from any involvement in elections. Goodbye Voting Rights Act.

4 Likes

You may well be right. :neutral_face:

One of the hopes had been that they would provide guidance as to what would constitute fair districting as there are several competing (and not mutually satisfiable) ideas about that. (Geographical compactness, political competitiveness, demographic representation, etc.)

Didn’t they already basically eviscerate that a couple of years ago?

14 Likes

The very brief thing I read on it said it was referred back to lower courts so Trump gets to reword and try again.

1 Like

The hippies were always outnumbered by the squares, unfortunately. The squares rebranded themselves and their kids as yuppies, got their revenge and got the hippies vilified as losers, and now we all are fucked. You guys still in the USA even more so.

Me?

I’m going to absentee vote at least one more time, but renouncing my US citizenship is looking more attractive …

4 Likes

It means Steny Hoyer’s stuck on my ballot for the foreseeable future, in spite of the fact that I don’t live in Southern Maryland, which otherwise comprises the 5th district.

But it’s not as weird as the 4th now that I look at it.

3 Likes

Roberts gave the Commerce Department until October to get its lies in order. It’s not a order with any sense of finality.

4 Likes