Passenger accuses Southwest Airlines of racist treatment

Not only that, he was in the “C” group. The C group on southwest is the “oh shit I forgot to log on 24 hours in advance and now I am lucky I’m not sitting on the wings” group.

If he wanted a special seat, he could have paid the $10 to automatically be checked in or the $15 (I think) to automatically be in the A group and bump everyone else back one.

Those are very valuable things to know when you book on southwest, by the way, you can cheapy buy your way up in line.

Sounds like a lot of misunderstandings. It would make a good comedy of errors if it was actually funny.

Guy sees spare seat and asks for it
Couple try to keep a spare seat to provide space for the baby so they make up some fake excuse
Guy misinterprets the fake excuse as racism and gets self-righteous
Woman misinterprets self-righteousness for aggression and responds in kind
Guy misinterprets response for more racism and gets more self-righteous
Husband misinterprets self-righteousness for aggression against his wife and reponds with agression to ‘defend’ his wife
Guy sees aggressive response from an older, weaker man and assumes even more racism and ‘white privilege’. So he threatens the husband (seriously, wtf? Threatening someone with violence when they get off the plane should get you tossed off the flight!)
Captain has no time for any of this bullshit, so assumes the loudest guy is the one that needs to shut the hell up.
Guy thinks this is more racism, lets it stew and fester in his mind and blogs about it later.

6 Likes

Lion…I think you missed my questions that addressed why the woman did not move, ect.
I don’t want toge into a contest with you or anyone about which of us are the most hated. It took me a long, long time to understand that a lot of the negative feelings directed my way had little to do with my race. I have had to learn that some people just dislike anyone that is not a part of their clan, acts or looks different. Unfortunately, a lot of human beings are just f@@@ed-up and many harbor hatred on general principles.
Good luck to you! Be safe!

To answer one of your questions, her husband didn’t need to offer to exchange seats with her, because the husband had moved to the middle seat already (this was in the blog post). She she was objecting to him sitting in the seat next to her husband.

I don’t recall a camera or mikes in those seats, but haven’t flown in YEARS. . .

1 Like

No worries.

The whole process of air travel is already tense and upsetting enough. Maybe race was involved, maybe it wasn’t, I don’t know. But what I do know is that when someone gets angry, the best way to feed that anger is by throwing more fuel on the fire, and both parties did plenty of that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.