Passenger realizes the floor of his Air France flight was soaked with blood. They gave him wet wipes to clean it up

Sounds like airlines have reached the “flying bus” level. I still have flashbacks about biohazards encountered on public transport. However, I was paying a lot less to ride a bus. Not sure what tactics passengers will use to make it clear that they find this to be unacceptable, based on what they are paying, but hope that they succeed in getting the carriers to change. Sometimes it seems like every industry is in a race to the bottom when it comes to customer service.

3 Likes

On Ryanair they’d charge you for the towels.

1 Like

As with many other things, “Ya gets what ya pays for.” I don’t imagine plane cleaners are paid much more than minimum wage, like hotel cleaning staff, and are under time pressure to get done fast for turnaround. That said, if you pitched a fit because your seat had been used previously by someone with incontinence and hadn’t been cleaned, I wonder what the response would be from the airline. If you refused to fly in that seat because of biohazard, what are the airline’s obligations?

2 Likes

Well, there was this case that involved a big difference between what the airline was supposed to do, and what they actually did:

3 Likes

I’d think there would be lawyers waiting for you to disembark, with eager grins and business cards outstretched.

4 Likes

People truly are gross…and airlines don’t provide cleaning crews sufficient time to actually clean anything between flights.

That’s why, even pre-pandemic, I started bringing sanitizing wipes to use on my tray table, seat belt, light switch, and anything else near my seat I will be touching during the flight.

2 Likes

Designing in enough space for some trash receptacles every couple of rows of seats reduced seating capacity and when planes were designed it was assumed cleaners would have enough time to pick up all the trash. Late-stage airline capitalism wants neither trash cans OR time to clean.

(Well, its a theory. :man_shrugging:)

ETA if they had different seat layouts it would be easier. And seeing as they are becoming just flying buses, why not?

I’m a little surprised.

Garden-variety squalor is one thing; but biohazardous/potentially infectious material is something about which there are a bunch of humorless ICAO documents incorporating-by-reference humorless WHO IHR stuff about “Special provisions for conveyances and conveyance operators” in the context of international disease control.

And that’s before the “CART” attempt to push recirculated disease tubes as a COVID-safe transport option, including specific mention that being blood or body fluid soaked makes something presumptively biohazardous.

2 Likes

I hate trains and train stations in the uk, We so need to bring bins back, but it does not matter how many bomb proof bins people invent, we just dont seem to ever want to go back to the risks of having bins in public places, thanks to the good old days of the IRA…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.