Password that Florida data scientist Rebekah Jones allegedly used is publicly available

Determined how?

Through the use of investigative resources your Affiant determined the IPv6 address…resolved to Comcast subscriber Rebekah Jones

And that’s meaningless noise too.

5 Likes

Probably not that hard, depending on the device:

Some ISP’s I have seen use the SSID + a few digits of the MAC for the default password.

5 Likes

Well, I used to get requests from (italian) police asking for who used a particular IP address (assigned via radius) for a particular period of time, when I admined a small ISP. We were tiny, it’s not hard to keep records of this, just some simple logs…

2 Likes

Sure, Comcast could have given them that information. Did they need a warrant, and did they have one? There’s no reason not to say so, since the chain of evidence would be examined in any trial.

Unless the raid was the whole point, and there won’t be a trial?

4 Likes

Very much my opinion (intimidation and fishing), just saying that the bar to getting that info isn’t that high, and it will be accurate.

2 Likes

What I find especially problematic is that some judge is going to have decide which expert to believe - both of who are talking in tech-ese that might as well be a foreign language.

“No, you see it’s IPv6 and blah blah blah…”

3 Likes

This is such a perfect red herring to minimize the actual problem here. Maybe she did send the message. Nobody should give a shit one way or the other. Because what we know happened was that she pushed back against DeSantis’ attempts to lie to his own constituents about a deadly pandemic and had guns pointed at her and her children in her own home.

13 Likes

It’s equally possible (or more likely even?) that they demanded that the ISP give them the records for her ip allocations specifically, and then later pasted her ip into the log file.

Ah, the martyr play. Risky, but super effective when it works. (and in this case, it looks like it’s working quite well…

2 Likes

C0V1d!

6 Likes

Fl0r1daM@n!

7 Likes

It’s funny because this is painfully possible.

4 Likes

0b@ma!

2 Likes

“By accessing this system, you are a criminal!”

2 Likes

That’s basically what my kids’ school iPad user agreements said.

3 Likes

shit. now I have to change mine…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.