Patient's fart in surgery causes fire, severe burns

He gassin’

1 Like

One of Bergman’s films has an epic fart-lighting scene.

It is rather unfortunate for the poor patient, but I couldn’t help but laugh and now I can’t keep a stupid grin off my face.

3 Likes

Surgical person here…you’re supposed to put a wet tampon like thing in the patient’s butthole as a safety precaution. Sounds like they didn’t do that. Or it was an epic fart.

10 Likes

Can you explain the process again without all your fancy medical terminology?

31 Likes

About 12 years ago they failed to cut the oxygen while putting a trach into my friend and caused devastating burns. We lost him in a related surgery about a year later. He’d gone through multiple surgeries trying to deal with the scar tissue.

14 Likes

How terrible. So, so sorry for your loss.

9 Likes

Thanks, he was just about to turn 21 when we lost him, and it was a whole year after the initial car accident, so it’s the kind of thing that sticks with you. And he was the sweetest kid.
I brought it up b/c I saw the story get around a bit at the time and almost wondered if the commenter had happened to read about that incident in particular, when they mentioned the word “throat”.

7 Likes

Thats horrible. Then this, which is really hard to explain:

You’d think that at least the two hoses would have different physical interfaces. Different size hoses, incompatible threads or obvious color coding (Apollo astronauts would repeat red to red, blue to blue when hooking up hoses). And two babies died at one hospital when nitrous oxide was delivered in place of oxygen.

Edit: with regards to your question about the throat surgery, I don’t think do. This would have been in Australia and it was clearly a part of normal surgery. They had a laser or other hot device and the patient had to have oxygen at that point.

6 Likes

All it takes is momentary contact between a laser and a dry sponge to start a fire. Even fiber-optic light sources can get hot enough to ignite drapes and sponges. Add in flammable gas mixtures and a fire can get out of hand very quickly. Intestinal gas is highly unlikely, given pre-surgical fasting and the tiny amount of gas emitted via flatulence. Even if the intestine was perforated, there really isn’t enough methane to cause the kind of conflagration described in the article. Intestinal gas contains a surprisingly large amount (50%, maybe?) of odorless - and non-flammable - carbon dioxide, too.

7 Likes

Clearly the answer is more flatulence. Any chance we can get people to fart dry powder? Its safe on electrical fires.

Not if the article is accurate. It said they were performing a procedure on the patient’s cervix (possibly doing a cervical cancer biopsy with a laser knife or burning off suspicious cells). You typically get to the cervix through the vagina, not by cutting open the abdomen.

2 Likes

probably does not beat the patient that knocked out doctors/nurses at the lawrence livermore labs (years ago) from a blood test that showed that the patient had a mode of nerve gas in the blood stream (still on the secrets list)

I believe the major ingredient of human farts is hydrogen. We are not cows.

Google ‘lithotomy position’ (for surgery, lol) and you will see how a butthole can be super close to a vaginal surgical site.
Jack knife too for rectal surgery, that one is self explanatory.

2 Likes

Lol.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

So this time canadas just catching up.

I wonder if this is real or not. here is an article from 2009 about something similar. Maybe this is a common occurance: http://www.thefrisky.com/2009-09-04/man-farts-during-surgery-and-sets-his-genitals-on-fire/

2 Likes

Dammit. This is why no one comes to me for surgery.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.