PBS joins NPR in quitting Twitter

Originally published at: PBS joins NPR in quitting Twitter | Boing Boing

8 Likes

42 Likes

I’m really hoping that NPR has started a mass exodus of mass media outlets from the twitters… that would have a real impact and maybe cause other corporations and then people to leave…

30 Likes

GIF by Another Period

22 Likes

Prior to March 21, 2006 companies didn’t have a Twitter to post to.

Hey business, let’s make it 2006 again.

15 Likes

Now Musk and Boebert will doubtlessly call to defund PBS as well.

Little do they know that Sesame Street doesn’t actually depend on government funds since most of their programming is underwritten by longtime corporate sponsors like the number 6 and the letter Q.

28 Likes

i hope this means they will now start using their Mastodon spaces, because there’s a hunger there for them.

15 Likes

To be fair, Musk already unilaterally defunded Twitter.

12 Likes

Twitter boss Elon Musk is content to make clear that it’s all retaliatory whimsy on his part.

wHy ArE ThE wOkE lEfT aDvErTiSeR’s LeAvIng??

Obligatory repost of my favorite iilustration of Musk

8 Likes

Congrats to both NPR and PBS for reaching six months ago.

I know, I shouldn’t chide them for doing the right thing, and as I said before, better late than never, but what exactly were they doing all this time? It’s not like this was a gradual process, Musk crashed Twitter on day one and made his views and intentions abundantly clear. It’s like waking up six months into Trump’s presidency and saying “Wait a minute… I think this guy might not be completely on the level!”

9 Likes

Yeah, the right-wingers are going to have a field day when they find out that television programming targeting American children is sponsored by Arabic numerals.

13 Likes

The Deep State!

12 Likes

Fingers crossed:

9 Likes

Ratfink Pierre Poilievre wants Elno to label the CBC.

7 Likes

See also this controversy from the late 90s:

11 Likes

Our local NPR station has stopped using Twitter, too:

6 Likes

… if only every platform had an accurate label, like “billionaire-owned advertiser-funded media” :thinking:

10 Likes

In theory folks like NPR journalists don’t want to be the story at least of their own accord, and by leaving now they avoided doing that until Musk decided to force that to happen. Now that it was a big enough story that all of the public and semi-public news sources can split at once (BBC, CBC, etc) it’ll make it increasingly hard for the NY TImes and Washington Post to stay. The Twitter echo chamber is really strong for journalists, but the network effect will start to work against Musk after a while. Having never had a Twitter account, it’s hard for me to understand their addiction, but apparently according to Scott Galloway (Pivot) and all of the people on PodSaveAmerica it’s pretty damn strong… hopefully Mastodon ramps up enough to be their methadone.

2 Likes

“You are, number six.”

1 Like

That’s a good explanation, and one that wouldn’t occur to me naturally because I don’t see any value in Twitter whatsoever, and never did even before Musk bought it. I’ve never understood the willingness of companies and individuals to act as though having a Twitter/Facebook/whatever is mandatory and voluntarily tether themselves to a toxic platform they have no control over. Leaving said platform seems like the easiest and most obvious move to me, not something they’d only do as a last resort… but clearly that’s not the reality.