Pedantic Digressions

It’s confusing when people use the word refute to mean “deny,” when I always thought it meant “disprove”

8 Likes

Give it up. Definitions are based on real world usage, not idealistic prescriptions. The age of verifiable truth has past.

1 Like

passed

6 Likes

Sigh. It’s not mythical. It’s legendary.

I don’t want to die on this hill, but I’d like to hold it for a little bit.

10 Likes

Actually, it’s neither-it’s just very rare.

4 Likes

Well there is a legend…

2 Likes

You ever notice how, in zombie movies, the zombies don’t really eat people? They just take a bite or two and wait until that person turns into a zombie. So, do zombies not eat? If they eat people and the movies just show us the people who then turn into zombies before being eaten, then how do you explain the exponential increase in the number of zombies? There’s no way they’re all eating someone.

2 Likes

Several schools of thought here.

They are ravenous and attempt to feed, but they cannot gain sustenance. Eventually they starve. That would be the theory from 28 days later.

Then in Night of the Living Dead it just shows the zombies attacking mindlessly. We never get to learn their motivations.

In Zombie Strippers! the body parts never die. They just keep on flopping around for comic effect

4 Likes

Have you seen The Walking Dead?

People get ate on that show

In the first episode a bunch of zombies eat a horse

1 Like

usually most of the zombies come from an airborne plague at the beginning of the story

1 Like

@NukeML

But they have every opportunity to feed and gain sustenance when they attack people. The fact that people are turning into zombies instead of getting eaten indicates that the zombies are not eating people in spite of being given the chance to. If they are ravenous or attacking mindlessly, why stop for long enough to allow the victim to transform into a zombie?

@smulder

I saw the first few episodes in Atlanta. With all those tens of thousands of zombies everywhere, are you telling me that there was enough food to go around for every zombie? Wait, if it’s an airborne plague, does that mean that being bitten by a zombie does not result in turning into a zombie? Is it just coincidental that people turn into zombies after getting bitten?

they don’t need food, they’re not alive

they’re driven to hunt and consume by some kind of evil spiritual force, but if they don’t find anything they don’t starve

2 Likes

I think they may have some ingrained mechanism that prevents them from eating zombie flesh. Maybe they taste rotten? But it doesn’t allay the hunger they feel and so they go on.

1 Like

They’re dead, so they can’t digest anything. So they’re not actually eating anything, they’re just chewing on it a bit as a reflex and moving on.

2 Likes

Well we dont know that they’re evil. Maybe just misunderstood?

1 Like

Yes that’s my feeling too

1 Like

@smulder

So they don’t eat, and they attack simply out of compulsion or because they are driven to spread zombiism? I can see that.

@NukeML

That raises an important question: just how long does it take for a person to transition into a zombie? It would have to be close to instantaneous.

@catsidhe

That’s the kind of answer I was looking for!

Wow, we have resolved this philosophical debate very quickly! Nice work, everyone!

1 Like

Are we such spineless liberals that we’re going to look for common ground with hell-spawned revenants eating our families?

2 Likes

I think in the Walking Dead universe, it’s basically taken as read that almost everyone has a baseline infection, which kicks in when they die, however they die. Being bitten by a zombie increases the viral load so that you get a more severe acute infection which kills you in its own right, then the normal zombification processes kick in. But basically, if anyone dies, for any reason, destroy the brain just in case.

1 Like