Pedantic nit picking over tripping coyotes

[Read the post]

1 Like

This wouldn’t happen if we left out All-American enjoyments like beer and cigarettes for our coyote neighbors.

6 Likes

Would. Shroomies are better.

5 Likes

3 Likes

And all over my yard in the summer. A. muscaria are lovely and are Total Fucking Hazards if you have a food curious dog.

Although, now that I hear about yours, i wonder if that might explain the weird skunk in the basement when I first moved in. It seemed just disoriented, not so much rabid or distempered, and had wandered in through an open bulkhead around dawn. Never sprayed me, wasn’t aggressive, made a few cute noises and just checked me out. Drank some water I put out, but it also wasn’t scared, or leaving.

Eventually I called the animal officer, as i could not evict him/her. It did not end pleasantly. Bad trip for Pepé?

3 Likes

And I’m guessing the mushrooms also caused that frothy saliva around their mouths as well?

In my hiking up San Pedro Mountain (by the Civic Center) I frequently see big mushrooms by the trail side with single bites taken out of them by something coyote sized with coyote-style teeth. I’ve assumed this was happening for years, although I’ve never seen an actual tripping coyote.

1 Like

yes. It probably did. The things are bitter bitter bitter, or so I hear.

But so is coffee, until you get the taste for it.

Coffee, fyi, was considered a hallucinogen more than a stimulant, by Dr. Oliver Sacks.

4 Likes

Coyote shouldn’t be trusted as an ally, in the wars to come. Everyone in Marin trips, the squirrel and raccoon seek to dominate.

11 Likes

Sounds pretty typical for a skunk, if you live in a populated area. They know you know better than to mess with them, so they aren’t scared.

1 Like

Sometimes even in an unpopulated area if they get enough exposure to people. Many years ago an ex and I were primitive camping in the Porcupine Mountains near Lake Superior. Every night we had skunks wander into the camp and right up to where we were sitting to check us out. I had one partially climb my leg, even! (I had to seriously resist reaching down to scritch it behind its ears – the action was so similar to our cats.)

We’d eventually toss a bit of our dinner over to the side of the camp and they’d happily go see what we offered, then head out into the dark, probably towards the next set of suckers. No, I don’t think that was a great idea, but I know we were just the latest in a long line of others. It’s also how I know that skunks really like pecan sandy cookies.

6 Likes

Given the choice between dealing with a trippin’ coyote and a trippin’ skunk, I’m ok with the coyote. Skunks are problematic on so many levels, especially if the skunk is freaking out on shrooms.

1 Like

Perhaps the coyotes have come to be our spirit guides.

13 Likes

If you got the Trickster as a spirit guide, you got a problem. :smiley:

10 Likes

I got 99 problems but my Trickster spirit guide ain’t one!

8 Likes

Perhaps the Acme Company is to blame.

It is our contention that Defendant has used its market advantage to the detriment of the consumer of such specialized products as itching powder, giant kites, Burmese tiger traps, anvils, and two-hundred-foot-long rubber bands. Much as he has come to mistrust Defendant’s products, Mr. Coyote has no other domestic source of supply to which to turn.

–from Coyote vs. Acme by Ian Frazier

3 Likes

Especially when its this Trickster

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.