Peeling back the layers: YouTuber explores the world of garlic

Originally published at: Peeling back the layers: YouTuber explores the world of garlic | Boing Boing

6 Likes

ezgif-5-5d79870ae0

6 Likes

Love Ethan. I followed his knife sharpening tutorial and now have a perfectly sharpened and honed kitchen knife, Swiss Army knife, and Gerber blade.

2 Likes

I use the refrigerated whole bulbs that he doesn’t really test. Reading the comments on the video, those can be frozen directly to use later, or mashed up in a food processor then frozen for later. Sort of making “garlic ice cubes”. Evidently, both ways preserve the allicin. I mostly go through it fast enough to not lose much to waste, but it will be nice to take not wasting much to not wasting any. :slight_smile:

( *This is an edited extract from “Garlic, Olive Oil + Everything Else”

3 Likes

As a former resident of Gilroy, CA I approve this post.

2 Likes

Good one Mark, thank you.

Knife sharpening?

1 Like

This video was great…

For the life of me, I’ve never been able to make garlic bread taste garlicy enough without using absurd amounts of garlic, but the whole more cutting = more garlic aroma makes sense. I just microplaned some garlic instead of my normally mincing it and was exactly what I was looking for - super garlicy with half the garlic.

1 Like

Paulie did the prep work. He was doing a year for contempt, and had this wonderful system for doing the garlic . He used a razor, and he used to slice it so thin… that it used to liquefy in the pan with just a little oil. It was a very good system.

PSA: garlic comes with a good amount of fructose. If you are somewhat intolerant of it, tread lightly.

Snl Bag GIF by Saturday Night Live

In college we had a spaghetti dinner, everyone was doing a different part of the meal. The woman that did the garlic bread said it called for two cloves, but she only put one in because she got tired of peeling all the little things inside.

That was some good garlic bread :yum: That was considered the unofficial beginning of the “Garlic and fireeaters” club where we all made spicy and garlicky foods.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.