Pelicans will eat anything they can fit into their mouths

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/12/pelicans-will-eat-anything-they-can-fit-into-their-mouths.html

2 Likes

A very stange bird is the Pelican
Its beak can hold more than its belly can
It can hold in its beak
Enough food for a week
But I dont know how the hell-he-can

13 Likes

I learned that limerick from, of all people, Columbo.

5 Likes

Pre-coffee, I read that as:

Politicians will eat anything they can fit into their mouths

8 Likes

11.5 feet in length

Wingspan, perhaps?

2 Likes

15 Likes

You all beat me to the Columbo limerick.

I thought for sure I would be the only one.

2 Likes

It’s by Ogden Nash.

pelcan Mouth perfec t size for put baby in to n\ap! inside very Soft and Comfort baby sleep soundly put baby in Pelican Mouth. Put Baby In Pelican Mouth. no problems ever in peliccan mouth because good Shape and Support for baby neck weak of big baby head. Apelican Mouth yes a place for a baby put baby in pelican mouth can trust pelican for giveing good love to baby. friend pelican

3 Likes

I am reminded of an old news clip where one just decided to eat a pigeon instead of the food the kids were offering.

Link below. (spoilered as its a bit graphic)

Actually…

1 Like

Actually, actually…
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2020/06/20/pelican/

Dixon Merritt on multiple occasions disclaimed credit, and earliest sources point to C. M. Marshton, an editor of the Chicago Record-Herald.

2 Likes

All these years pretending to be a puma and it turns out I’m a pelican.

5 Likes

of course, we have pelis all around here. we are warned not to throw cleaned fish carcasses into the canals or marinas, as pelis will scoop them up like a whole fish. thing is, the bare bones can easily puncture the poor bird’s pouch and that can be a serious injury that can eventually kill the bird. fishermen are advised to puncture the eyeballs of the fish carcass so that it will sink and be come crab, shark and ray food and less likely to injure pelicans.

this fishing responsibly PSA brought to you by:

Kevin, the pelican.
thank you.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Pelicans will eat anything they can fit into their mouths

Me too pelican, me too.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.