Pelosi hammer attacker David DePape tearfully testifies that he was radicalized by Gamergate

That’s a pretty crappy excuse for trying to beat someone to death, but this is a good place to revisit Innuendo Studio’s coverage of the paths between Gamergate and the far-right. Warning, the video has immediate profanity, so if you click at work, headphones:

6 Likes

All of these insurrectionist/terrorist defenses that are essentially “I ended up believing and following terrible people.”

Yeah, Bob, we know. You still decided to take that action. Glad that you see it, now, but that’s something that could be said of any insurrection. Y’all are all about ‘dying for your beliefs’, but if it comes to sitting on a stand and being asked questions about them…?

10 Likes

I heard the gamergate nonsense, and indeed some of it showed up here. It was easy not to be taken in by it because it was so thickly and plainly based on hating women, and I don’t. Being radicalized by it tells me you were already interested in excuses for reactionary bigotry.

20 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

13 Likes

Dude tries to get the sympathy by assuming everyone else is an idiot. It’s always tearful expression at the find out stage with these man child terrorists.

Do these guys never think about potential consequence of their actions? /S
Their life must be a bubble of privilege.

6 Likes

6 Likes
5 Likes

Sounds like the defence is “I’ve been a loser and an asshole for a long time”.

2 Likes

If there was one for the offering, sure. But there’s a good chance he was never offered a plea deal. They had him, in the house, holding the hammer. ETA: With a hit list, and pretty much confessing everything at the scene.

I’d wager he never was even offered a plea deal.

2 Likes

Plea deals are almost always offered. Trials are expensive and juries are unpredictable. It might not have been a great offer, but I’m sure there was an offer.

3 Likes

Even if he wasn’t, it seems like pleading guilty, pretending to be remorseful and throwing himself upon the mercy of the court would make more sense than going to trial, pleading innocent, yet admitting that he had attacked the the guy and planned to hurt others.

7 Likes

Maybe. This was the husband of the 2nd in line to the presidency, and he had a hit list full of other high value targets.

The offer may have just been, “Save yourself the time.” I can’t imagine Nancy Pelosi or prosecutors being okay with anything but life , forever, no parole.

{edited to add spaces between th’ images, and again to add this}

5 Likes

Maybe he took a writing class once and the “show don’t tell” rule really stuck. Because damn, that plan could be used as a textbook definition of unhinged

3 Likes

Does Alex Cox need to make a film about Qanon?

3 Likes

And another terrorist goes away.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/16/politics/depape-verdict-guilty/index.html

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.