David DePape found guilty in Pelosi husband hammer attack

Originally published at: David DePape found guilty in Pelosi husband hammer attack | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Frankly I’m surprised it took 8 hours. It was on video and the guy admitted to it. What more was there to discuss?

7 Likes

I assume where to order takeout from for the free jury lunch. That was no doubt a more difficult decision than separating this loser far-right terrorist from society for what I hope is the rest of his life.

5 Likes

I’m reading that the max penalty for the two Federal charges are 20 years and 30 years, but he still hasn’t been tried on the state charges for attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. If the sentences are served consecutively he’s going to be put away for a long, long time.

2 Likes

From the Times:

His lawyers did not contest the evidence against him, which included police body camera video of the attack on Paul Pelosi, 83, as well as Mr. DePape’s own admissions to the police and on the witness stand. But they argued to the jury that Mr. DePape’s bludgeoning of Mr. Pelosi while on a mission to kidnap his wife — then the speaker of the House and second in line to the presidency — did not amount to federal crimes.

They said that Mr. DePape did not act on account of Ms. Pelosi’s official duties as a member of Congress — a required element of the charges against him — but rather as part of a larger plot, fueled by online conspiracy theories, to take down a cabal of so-called liberal elites that he saw as a threat to American liberty.

So there is this, which is nonsense, but sometimes it takes a while to get through nonsense.

4 Likes

He has family around here who were quoted as appalled when the incident happened.

This is precisely what is meant by the term ‘stochastic terrorism’.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.