Penguin's insane policy on electronic galleys for authors

No, that’s not true. Any art license for a book cover always includes the right to use the art in connection with promoting a book. To do otherwise would be insane.

the thread is about the print ready files, which obviously aren’t needed for promo

threads don’t really work on this new bbs

OK, I’m done

Printing, warehousing, trucking, distributing, returns, remainder warehousing, are obviously free services, and don’t factor into the cost of publishing at all.

as a % of the retail price, they are very tiny.

Oh, I’m sorry, you were talking about the publisher’s freaking production costs up till now.

Way to change the argument. Well played.

just read the actual thread, yes.

If you were the hypothetical author who had committed this hypothetical act…

At the risk of beating the same drum, there are hundreds of Penguin titles on NetGalley, and Penguin is consistently among the top publishers for e-galley requests and e-galley distribution, including at an author’s request.

1 Like

As a small, indie publisher, I heartily encourage the big publishing houses to stick to their guns. Never give an inch! Someday, the world will realize you are the real deal, and stop messing around with those indie floozies.

Never give up! Never surrender!

I was working with an author on a DK-style book (I’m an InDesign expert) a few years ago. He’d had five successful straight books publishied with Wiley. When we asked Wiley if we could provide press-ready files, they freaked. They also insisted on having the cover designed in-house. It took months and the result looked like a 1990s algebra textbook.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.