Tidhar's "Violent Century": Watchmen meets Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy

[Permalink]

I wonder why the Kindle price is more expensive than the paperback price?

1 Like

Came here to say that too. Kindle version $6 more than a physical book? Boo on your publisher.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll chime in, too. No way the Kindle version should cost more than the paperback. Double-Boo on the publisher!

Full disclosure: I work for Hodder, the publishers of The Violent Century, but Iā€™m commenting in a purely personal capacity.

To clarify, the ebook is cheaper than the current physical edition, which is the hardback. The paperback is only available for pre-order and isnā€™t published until March. Amazon.com isnā€™t listing the hardback as the main edition, for some reason, which gives a misleading impression.

The price of the ebook will drop when the paperback is released. ā€œWindowingā€ ebook prices to reflect the price of the most current physical edition is common practice for publishers. Whether thatā€™s a fair strategy is another question. But itā€™s quite simply not the case that the ebook costs more than the physical book.

Itā€™s up to you to decide if you want to part with your money for it, of course. But The Violent Century is a really great read - Lavie Tidharā€™s writing is brilliant, so I hope youā€™ll want to check it out!

4 Likes

By the love of Pete, please fix font encoding on main post!

2 Likes

That might be true but $16.84 for an ebook is usurious. I was going to buy it (as Iā€™ve enjoyed his other works) until I saw the aprox. $17 pricetag for a DRM protected bunch of bytes. The nice hardcover is $3 more on Amazon.

ā€¦So, what exactly is an ĆƒÅ“bermenschen ? Even Google isnā€™t too helpful.

Itā€™s not? The first result I got was that itā€™s German for Superman. Iā€™m used to seeing it spelled Ɯbermenschen or Ɯbermensch though. Maybe ĆƒÅ“bermenschen is Yiddish-influenced.

Itā€™s mojibake. Someoneā€™s using some broken Windows software that pasted in UTF-16 characters instead of UTF-8.

And days later, they still canā€™t be bothered to fix it.

Ahh, but of course. It just looks so feasible this time, rather than Euro symbols and mathematical notation.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.