Penis transplant successful

this is one of those things that makes my groin ache.

2 Likes

sometimes it’s down to personality

I hadn’t really thought about that. And they’re probably really thoughtful people. I like people who take time to think about ethics.

1 Like

Perhaps you need some anti-rejection meds?

1 Like

If they’re going to go to all this trouble, I hope they gave him the extra big package.

1 Like

If you were married and had this procedure done, wouldn’t it technically be cuckolding yourself with your wife?

Seems pretty straightforward to me—the donor presumably signed up to be an organ donor but not a sperm donor. Whole different set of consent firms forms.

5 Likes

They are literally medical ethicists. It’s pretty fascinating stuff.

4 Likes

Needs very firm consent…

5 Likes

Are there any doctors hanging out here?

Would it be possible to transplant the testes for hormonal purposes and just not have them deliver their payload to the penis? Like pre-vasectomied but even more effective because they were never attached to begin with?

I’m just thinking that with ovaries, there are a lot of reasons to leave them there, even if you have your tubes tied.

3 Likes

Ethics aside, it seems like it would be borderline pointless to try to make donor testicles work anyway, since the purpose of testicles is to produce your own gametes, which the recipient still wouldn’t be able to do. And presumably the longer and more complex surgery would carry more risk. (I guess testicles have some endocrine function too, but it doesn’t seem like that’s a major problem).

I don’t know who sits on ethics panels, though I’m sure they’re whiter and maler than the general population, but I don’t think that’s an argument against the idea of ethical oversight. There are plenty of ethical questions that shouldn’t be left up to patients alone, because they don’t just affect the patient. Like, in this case, what if donated testicles led to new and unforeseen genetic issues (e.g. because of mosaicism), which might introduce genetic problems for future generations?

2 Likes

I am not sure if I should be laughing hysterically or mortified. I’ll get back to you on this one.

2 Likes

3 Likes

my first thought as well. I know that I would be terrified of being cut out from those meds, which can happen for so many reasons.

1 Like

Would this work for a sex change ?

(is that still the term? gender reassignment ? )

Seems like this solves a lot of shaping and forming and skin grafts … I think if you used something like a DB-9 connector then the whole thing could be removable … sew in some Velcro or snaps.

Whole new meaning to ‘The Stranger’.

We have the technology to rebuild him…
Given that the figures for this sort of war injury seem considerable, maybe someone (DARPA?) should look into better body armour.

1 Like

I believe the term is “detachable.”

2 Likes

Confirmation surgery.

I guess it would work but there may be a problem finding enough penis donors. Without going into details, trans people assigned male at birth are not a source.

5 Likes

Funny, just yesterday my 8-year-old son and I were briefly discussing the topic of trans people (without going into detail about surgical procedures) and after thinking about it for a couple of beats he asked if people who were born in boy’s bodies but felt like girls and people who were born in girls’ bodies but felt like boys could do brain transplants to switch bodies. I told him that was a clever idea but we don’t know how to do that kind of surgery yet. Pity the “genital swap” thing isn’t an option for those who’d want it either.

8 Likes

Nearly 1400 of them. Almost all very young men.

The donations should be forcibly taken from those who voted for the war.

1 Like