Penn Jillette remarks on (mostly phony) magic tricks in pop culture

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/22/penn-jillette-remarks-on-most.html

4 Likes

He probably would not be that impressed with the one where I make this sandwich disappear.

11 Likes

Nice example of deception? Here’s the video, oops not available in your area.

3 Likes

Wow, would have never guessed that Gob was the most realistic magician.

6 Likes

Chris Pratt actually does magic.I have seen him do a trick on a talk show

. I think he really did that cardistry that is shown there.

Because he’s mostly a “buy this trick” kind of magician.

2 Likes

Every time I watch Penn and Teller do out of character discussions on the thought and philosophy of Magic, I always come away with something new to think about. Here it was the idea of it being immoral as an artist to make your audience complicit in risking your life. And that magic should be as “safe as sitting in your living room.”

10 Likes

I remember him talking about fire-eating while he was using a cigarette to set lighter fluid soaked cotton balls on fire. …“The liquid that you use is poisonous. So you’re watching somebody slowly poison themself. Needless to say, you shouldn’t do this. You shouldn’t even smoke. Unless you want to look cool.”

4 Likes

Penn Jillette remarks on (mostly phony) magic tricks in pop culture

?

Magic tricks are phony magic. Tricking an audience is what “magic” is all about.

4 Likes

So is he telling the truth when he says he’s lying?:thinking:

If someone tells you they are lying… always believe them.
:smiley:

1 Like

That upside-down skit is seared into my memory. When I first watched it, it was the first I’d ever seen Penn and Teller. It still remains as one of the best tricks I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Here’s a clip of the SNL upside down bit (looks like a different episode), minus the stupid geo-blocking bullshit. At least until it gets taken down by a copyright claim.

2 Likes

Teller pitches this trick to us to do all the time. He always wants us to do a trick where a seed is put in and a plant grows out of it. Man, Teller loves this trick. I hate this trick. You’ll never see this in a Penn and Teller show as long as I’m alive.

Penn can be such a jerk sometimes.

But where did the lighter fluid come from?

You’ll never see this trick in a Penn and Teller show as long as I’m alive.

So we may see the trick in a Penn and Teller show after you’re dead?

Teller may continue to tour with your corpse?

Because I’d pay to see that.

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Great script (or at least so I thought in my younger days). Terrible movie.

2 Likes