Pentagon issues warning to soldiers: do not eat poppy seeds

Originally published at: Pentagon issues warning to soldiers: do not eat poppy seeds | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Adam and Jamie test poppy seed bagels & drug tests:

22 Likes

Great, now I need a big slice of Mohnkuchen or three.

34 Likes

If a poppy seed bagel can trigger a false positive, then the tests for opiates are flawed, not the bagels.

74 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

17 Likes

19 Likes

Mmm, I’ll take a slice of Makowiec, thanks.

33 Likes

If I have learned anything from watching Vietnam movies it’s that soldiers are always on heroin anyway!

(This is a comment on Vietnam movies, not people in the military)

10 Likes

This makes me want to bake some lemon poppyseed loaf for immediate consumption.

And get some more poppyseed bagels.

10 Likes

Nothing screams “FREEDOM!” like the biggest military in the world advising not to eat certain foods, so their drug testing results aren’t messed with.

21 Likes

Moment of pedantry: This is not contamination. These alkaloids are formed naturally by the poppy plant. The sap of the plant was (and is) the source of natural opium, from which opioids get their name. And yes, eating the seeds can trip the test.

44 Likes

Great, now I want kolacky like my Czech grandmother used to make.

26 Likes

As an analytical chemist, I concur.

13 Likes

“help us drug test you real quick”
And they wonder why they have a recruitment problem.

9 Likes

Great, now I want opium…

17 Likes

One of my classmates in college was drummed out of the Navy because of poppy seeds. A real straight arrow that would never have indulged in anything - not even alcohol. This kicked off a years-long lawsuit to be reinstated. I graduated before it was resolved, so, sadly I cannot tell you how it ended. This, of course, was 30 years ago.

11 Likes

Advice to members of the military: always carry a half-eaten poppyseed bagel.

13 Likes

aww… I miss my czech grandmother, too. her koláčky were a fave. But, no poppy seeds in hers.

4 Likes

Although it could be a double bluff

5 Likes

Imagined conversation that led to this announcement:

LT: Colonel, numbers are down.
CL: What? Why?
LT: Nervously trying to avoid the issue of disillusionment in an oppressive military state, etc. Well… one thing that’s happened is we are getting more positive drug screens that are leading to disqualifications and discharges.
CL: What could be causing this all of a sudden?!
LT: Nervously trying to avoid the ongoing opioid epidemic and general doomerism in the populace Well, I heard that eating poppy seeds can give you a false positive…
CL: LET’S ISSUE A PRESS RELEASE!

12 Likes