People are selling Moderna COVID-19 vaccine bottles on eBay. They're empty though.

Originally published at: People are selling Moderna COVID-19 vaccine bottles on eBay. They're empty though. | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Okay, 1) medical waste, but 2) I would assume that there are normally protocols for destroying or (hopefully) recycling them, so maybe there wouldn’t be that many lying about?

6 Likes

For one day in my life of 60 plus years I’d like to not be disgusted by humanity.

23 Likes

Man, you landed on the wrong planet.

23 Likes

Dude, space ship is in the shop again, and it looks like I’m on Earth for the duration.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t worry to much about the medical waste aspect of these bottles, since they’re presumably sterile and handled with reasonable caution, and only poked with new needles. And they are nice souvenirs. Not $50 worth of nice, though.

8 Likes

One might think eBay would de-list these items and ban these users. One might think that, if they didn’t live in late-stage capitalist America where scumbag opportunists = commissions for the company.

5 Likes

I’m going in for my first shot on Thursday! I’m definitely going to ask for one. Unfortunately, it’s not Moderna, otherwise it would become a bucket list item to get Dolly to sign it.

4 Likes

There are some days I think having a back-to-the-land ancom commune away from everyone else is a good idea.

OK, right now it’s nearly every day, and if I didn’t know that the arseholes would come looking for us I would be doing it regardless of my disabilities.

4 Likes

I still find it somewhat questionable, the vials should’ve been handled with care but its unknown how a given seller got their hands on it. Did they dig it out of a medical waste bin? A dumpster? regular trash can at an office? Etc.

The secondary concern i have is that someone might buy used vials or boxes of used vials and then refill them/repackage them to sell

13 Likes

I got a Pfizer shot yesterday. The outdoor vaccination facility at the University of Arizona is run by Banner, but staffed by many volunteers (who get a free shot for their efforts). It would be easy peasy for some volunteer to grab a handful of the used vials and boxes.

1 Like

My concern too.

7 Likes

You know, I was thinking the same, and then it hit me. Why do I go places that seem to only feature things like this?

There are a lot more good things about society, and it seems like we overwhelmingly get these type of things now at BoingBoing. This isn’t a “I’m disappointed in BoingBoing rant”, so … no worries on that… just… there are a lot of good things happening in this world. If you’re getting overwhelmed by the far fewer but more clickbaity bad things, maybe seek out the good things more.

1 Like

Agreed. Part of wants a bottle to put on the old X-mass tree, but part of me is concerned that bottles are turning up.

There are procedures in place for accounting for each and every bottle, dare I say dose- depending on what company or organization is dispensing the vaccine.

We have a vested interest in this, as every bottle should be trackable- not just through a bidirectional digital paper trail,

but also through the invisible tracking chips placed there by the Illuminati to verify the effectiveness of the chemtrail program to make the flatEarth more livable for the reptilians that formerly controlled by Art Bell in area 51 after the US abandoned the gold standard to leverage the cost differential of cow anuses between humans and the Grey aliens who are going to Los Angeles to build a screenplay about lovers who murder each other like a piece of wax falling on a termite who’s choking on the splinters…

5 Likes

That’s is precisely the reason the Dear Wife and I came to Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley, the asshole quotient is depleted to a manageable level. It doesn’t hurt that we are separated here by land, that’s a plus. I can’t live in a big city any longer, just won’t work for me…

1 Like

It’s possible of course, but I’m not sure it’s any more likely than someone just taking any medical bottle and an inkjet printer to make a fake. Any licensed doctor, clinic, or pharmacy has to get all of their medication through licensed vendors, not off of eBay. There is certainly a danger of unlicensed fake-doctors providing fake vaccines to people who are desperate or uninformed or greedy, but I don’t scammers would care if the bottles are genuine.

3 Likes

I got mine a while back. From talking with the nurse my understanding is the pfizer arrives in a concentrate form and is made up into single doses by pharmacists on site that have to be used in 6 hours. The actual shot was in a tiny vial with a plain white label hand written by the pharmacy, didn’t get to see the original fancy bottle. I got mine at work, in a children’s hospital

3 Likes

Collect the whole set!

I wonder if it is like lots of people selling empty boxes - it is preying on people not reading the auction closely enough to see they are empty.

Or they are selling them to people who want to try to fill them with saline solution and then sell them as legit.

Hopefully it is just souvenir hunters.

3 Likes

I’d hang one on my Christmas tree. Along with the Crocheted Plague doctor my wife made.

3 Likes