People in a study who snorted dried toad secretions once became happier for a month

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/30/people-in-a-study-who-snorted.html

3 Likes

Dried Frog Pills do work!

23 Likes

Worth pointing out that a lot of the trial subjects did not come back for the follow-up and as such we don’t know if the dried frog goo helped or made them worse. The results are based on about 40% of subjects who actually came back. This greatly decreases the statistical confidence with which the results can be interpreted.

18 Likes

I’m snorting died toad secretions right now.

27 Likes

Trial participants were later found congregating down by the riverbank, sitting in the water up to their eyeballs. No other side effects were reported.

32 Likes

Back in the Great Days of The Internet, when things were only moderately awful, one could purchase this stuff entirely legally from a plethora of websites selling shit that would make The Good Doctor think twice before inhaling. Good times, man. Good times
(mind you, you could also buy MDPV, though that is generally considered, in hindsight, a Bad Idea).

4 Likes

increased life satisfaction, better mindfulness, and a decrease in psychopathological symptoms

I shudder to think what I would be willing to do with a toad to achieve such effects.

3 Likes

I feel sorry for the people who snorted,

but that’s good news for the toad secretions at least.

(No fair editing the title…)

5 Likes

However, all of the dried and powdered toads in the study reported that they were definitely unhappier.

10 Likes

It all comes from the Colorado River, man. The toads are just a conduit.

7 Likes

Side effects include violent mood swings.

23 Likes

I don’t know; those two guys don’t look happy to me.

3 Likes

If you start your day snorting toad powder, everything looks better by comparison.

10 Likes

14 Likes

5-MeO-DMT is the O-methylated relative of bufotenin, also from toads. Bufotenin causes respiratory difficulties in addition to its psychoactive bits and is the first metabolite of 5-MeO-DMT. Apparently the O-methylation strongly mitigates the face-purpling and respiratory difficulty symptoms.

In TiHKAL, Shulgin has extended commentary on both bufotenin as 5-OH DMT (pages 473-478) and 5-MeO DMT (pages 531-538), and some interesting work on the di-isopropyl analog 5-MeO DiPT.

N.B., The psilocybin family, the 4-hydroxy / methoxy / phosphoryloxy substituted DMTs, are generally safer than most psychoactives, and are discussed together in TiHKAL.

18 Likes

Those roads have calves like cherries!

4 Likes

I can’t believe I’m the first person to post this…

10 Likes

Oh, you can dry them? Here I’ve just been stuffing live toads up my nose.

11 Likes

When I was a kid… we had to lick um

4 Likes

Please start adding some to the President’s morning Big Mac ASAP.

3 Likes