Scientists gave octopi MDMA, the results were "unbelievable"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/20/scientists-gave-octopi-mdma-t.html

4 Likes

Hmm, remind me not to tell you about that time I wore androstadienone (putative human sex pheromone) to a party.

5 Likes

Octopusses or octopodes, not octopi :wink:

4 Likes

I wanna see Alex Jones turn this into a “turning the frickin frogs gay” rant.

“THESE SCIENTISTS, THEY’RE SITTING AROUND ORGANIZING OCTOPUS RAVE ORGIES”

20 Likes

The cuddles are a bit much though, all those suckers stuck everywhere. Handsy little buggers.

7 Likes

Never asked myself before just what an octopus would grow in its garden. It’s not like they eat vegetables.

3 Likes

An assistant Professor with the super bad-ass sounding name, Gül Dölen (I mean, double umlaut; that’s METAL), experimenting with drugs on octopuses?! This sounds like the set up an Aquaman adventure.

8 Likes

So to quell Cthulhu we gotta turn him into a giant rave party?
Edit: unceunceunceunceunceunceunceunceunceunceunce… :3

7 Likes

Things tend to get handsy when we give sea life the good drugs…

6 Likes

i DO love tracking down the original source

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(18)30991-6

TLDR: they got high AF and all touchy touchy

4 Likes

“When the moon flees the sky thanks to a huge octopi, that’s Cthulhu.”

7 Likes

Also, between this and the stoned lobsters, what’s up with scientists giving drugs to non-human animals? If these need a test subject, I’m totes available.

6 Likes

No kidding. I’ve yet to try MDMA, but I have a theory that I would enjoy it. Is there a scientist reading with the hookup and a willingness to help test that theory?

5 Likes

It’s fun, but as with most drugs, it’s best in the company of people you like and trust. So I’ve heard.

3 Likes

Hey! Tell me about that time you wore androstadienone to a party!

2 Likes

Indeed they are…

3 Likes

“The scientists took this to mean that despite our vastly different brains, social behavior is built into the very molecules coded by our DNA, Dölen explained.”

hope they give their arms a rest after that long reach.

3 Likes

Someone needs to do a picture of an octopus rave.

2 Likes

Ooo. That could be tough. I don’t like very many people. And I trust even fewer.

1 Like

Google search led me to this from here:

DiscoSquids

Edited to add:

and

Oct
Shirt available here:

ETA: Oh that shirt has one 1* review due to poor quality. Too bad, its a fun design.

6 Likes