The woman who fell in love with NASA's LSD-dosed and sex-addicted dolphin

Originally published at: The woman who fell in love with NASA's LSD-dosed and sex-addicted dolphin | Boing Boing

2 Likes
6 Likes

Where does it say something about the woman being in love with the dolphin? It seems like it might be plausible to say that the dolphin was in love with the woman but not really the other way around.

6 Likes

This is exactly what the woman said too. That it was sex for Peter, not for her. It was just a way to keep him calm.

NSFW video:

8 Likes

Insert Charlie Kirk joke here.

7 Likes

That crazy William Gibson, making up a story about a drug addict hacker dolphin…

Double Take GIF by Rita Ora

14 Likes

The linked video where Lovatt talks about this should probably be foregrounded here.

She says it was basically a logistical thing for her (keep the dolphin from injuring her while she got on with her work) and frankly I believe her.

Sexually stimulating animals ends up being people’s literal job whenever animal semen is a valuable commodity. The Beeb even made it part of a reality TV show once.

Don’t get me wrong, kinkshaming is one of my kinks (you sick fuckers!) but I don’t think it’s called for here.

12 Likes

Lung damage from LSD? just what/how?

7 Likes

If it has similar hallucinogenic effects in dolphins, they could similarly be disoriented and breathe in water and suffer lung damage. As could a human swimmer on LSD.

10 Likes

Er, “in love with”? I’m sure many generations of women can attest that giving a reluctant handy does not indicate being in love with the owner of the penis.

9 Likes

Dear gawd what was going on in THIS show!

2 Likes

One of my favorite King of the Hill episodes.

3 Likes

So the sexual attraction wasn’t on porpoise, just sort of a fluke.

19 Likes

I sea what you did there :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

At least there isn’t any LSD use with Walnut and Chris Crowe

4 Likes

The original show used a female dolphin for Flipper. The reboot with Jessica Alba didn’t, and she wasn’t too happy about it.

1 Like

Came here for the Drunk History video, was not disappointed.
Love:

1. the narrator trying to talk “dolphin” while heavily inebriated.
  2. His point of how awkward speech is for dolphins, “how would you like it if aliens abducted you and forced you to speak through your a$$hole”.
1 Like

Insert Troy McClure joke here

1 Like

I wouldn’t call that lung damage from LSD. At least not so directly.

1 Like

According to the Guardian article, the dolphin in question was not given LSD, at her insistence. Furthermore, the LSD had no effect upon the dolphins that were given it.

Reading around, it seems generally believed that Peter the dolphin committed suicide when the project ended and he was kept in a small, low stimulus, tank.
Hence the lung damage.

5 Likes